[sustran] [World Streets] Op-Ed. Jan Gehl, Mesage from Copenhagen

Eric Britton editor at worldstreets.org
Mon Mar 23 23:03:30 JST 2009

[http://www.gehlarchitects.com]
People FirstJan Gehl, Gehl Architects, Copenhagen, DenmarkMany
challenges face today’s societies: from increasing carbon emissions to
our reliance on depleting energy resources, from increasing social
segregation to the obesity epidemic. All these challenges come at a
great cost: from monetary to environmental, and every inhabitant pays a
price. We believe many of these challenges can be addressed simply by
thinking about ‘people first’ when planning cities.The Value of People
Oriented PlanningIf the urban population is invited to use public space
by walking or bicycling, the effects are highly positive in meeting
these challenges. It may seem banal that more bicycle lanes equal more
bicyclists, a well-connected pedestrian network results in more
pedestrians, a well-working public transport system results in more
people using public transport – whereas more roads means more cars. It
seems simple. More and more studies demonstrate that a good pedestrian
and bicycling environment is not in contradiction with good sales
numbers. On the contrary, local businesses do better in neighborhoods
that favor soft traffic, and cities that perform well on livability
attract investors and business.Planning for EverybodyCreating a good
public realm enables different groups in society to meet on equal
terms. If we want to take planning for all people seriously, we have to
give everybody the chance of being mobile – a key element in today’s
society. Good conditions for people, without a car, give more people
the opportunity to be a real part of the society.Lessons from
CopenhagenFor the past 45 years Copenhagen, Denmark, has been on a
continuous journey to make life better for its inhabitants and, in
2008, the city was named the best city in the world for quality of
life. This achievement is the result of a contiguous strategy of
turning the focus around from a car-orientated culture to a people
friendly environment - one that favors a good public realm, through
public transport and amenities. For example, 36% of all Copenhageners
commute to work by bicycle - a completely healthy, democratic and
sustainable mode of transportation. Our goal is to reach 50% by 2015.US
Cities Leading the Way‘Planning for people’ can make cities safer, more
environmentally friendly, livelier and healthier. Presently, Gehl
Architects is working with cities across the United States, including
New York City, Seattle and San Francisco, in the joint effort of making
these cities even greater. We hope the Obama Administration will
support and lead this development even further in the years to come.Jan
Gehl jan at gehlarchitects.dkGehl Architects – Urban Quality Consultants,
www.gehlarchitects.comCopenhagen, Denmark

--
Posted By Eric Britton to World Streets at 3/23/2009 02:51:00 PM