[sustran] [World Streets] The Greening of New York: March 2009

Eric Britton fekbritton at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 01:41:10 JST 2009

[http://transalt.org]
12.00 Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE
MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt
0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New
Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} We decided to make the month of March
one of heavy traffic between New York City and World Streets.

After years of growing civic involvement pushing hard toward more
sustainable transportation arrangements in a city and region long
dominated by cars, and held back by a highly resistant tradition-bound
administration and political establishment, the City has come out of
the doldrums in the last couple of years and is now making progress
toward engaging a major new mobility overhaul.

This process, this often bumpy road, is in our view of sufficient
interest that it should be made more broadly known to the international
community. Any time a city series engages the challenge of making the
move toward more sustainable transportation, this has to be of interest
to other cities and groups around the world who were looking for good
examples and ideas to fire their own transition.

And as always the traffic will run in two ways, and we know that it is
going to be interesting too to see how others with deep experience in
their own cities see and share their lessons and thoughts with
colleagues in New York.

You can follow these exchanges real-time each day by going to our good
search engine and popping in "Greening of New York" into the Streets
section. If you have subscribed to the New Mobility Café
(NewMobilityCafe-subscribe at yahoogroups.com), you will receive them as
they appear. You will also receive highlights in the "This Week on
World Streets" summaries.

* To call up all the entries in this series thus far, click here.

--
Posted By Eric Britton to World Streets at 3/09/2009 05:30:00 AM