[sustran] South African News - Taxi industry wants to own the BRT system

Lize Jennings Lize at sustainable.org.za
Wed Jun 24 21:24:57 JST 2009

As you may be aware, a number of South African cities are trying to
implement BRT systems as part of the general upgrade of public transport
services (many to have implemented Phase 1 of their projects in time for the
2010 Soccer World Cup).  The big debate has been around the minibus taxi
industry's role in the implementation of BRT and we have experienced a
number of protests and threats of violence from the minibus taxi industry if
the BRT systems are to go ahead.  The consultation with the minibus taxi
industry has been tricky, but as we head closer to the World Cup (next
year), those in the transport sector are very concerned about a way forward
to ensure that SA gets the appropriate transport system for the country that
can meet the needs of all the citizens.

Article By:

Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:36

The minibus taxi industry on Tuesday called for full ownership of the Bus
Rapid Transit system.

"Government must allow the taxi industry to own BRT in its entirety,"
National Taxi Alliance Secretary-General Alpheus Mlalazi said at a press
briefing in Johannesburg.

The taxi industry had developed the routes the BRT system was targeting, he
claimed.

"The taxi industry is therefore justifiable (sic) in claiming intellectual
property or goodwill on the taxi routes and taxi ranks."

Mlalazi said if the government did not begin negotiating with the NTA on
these terms, there would be protests.

"In July if we fail to meet with the minister [Transport Minister Sibusiso
Ndebele], we will embark on a protest march to deliver a memorandum of
grievances.

"After seven days if there is no response we will hold a stayaway... if that
[negotiations] doesn't happen, it will escalate."

Earlier this month Ndebele announced the formation of a joint working group
on public transport to deal with the industry's concerns over the BRT system
and other issues affecting the sector.

At the time, the government said negotiations on how the industry would
become involved in the business side of the BRT system would take place
mainly at local level, focusing on the taxi workers affected by the system.

The BRT system raised the ire of taxi bosses, who felt it threatened their
livelihood. The industry also expressed concerns that the government had
asked it to register its routes and then proceeded to place the new bus
system on those same routes without consulting it.
http://news.iafrica.com/sa/1528025.htm

Sapa

Lize Jennings

Project Manager