[sustran] Re: How much money should we spend on nicer buses?

jane. voodikon at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 20 20:50:28 JST 2009

Bus safety became a--pardon the pun--hot topic in the Chinese media a few weeks ago, after a Chengdu city bus caught fire, killing 25 or 26 and injuring 76 to the point of hospitalization (seven had burns on over 95% of their bodies).

Investigators believe that somebody brought a can of gasoline on board, which then tipped over, soaking the bus, and finally, the whole thing somehow ignited. One issue here is that there are no enforced rules about what can and cannot be brought aboard buses--so everything from live animals (pets and farmstock) to large, unidentified baggage of all sorts (vendors frequently bus their goods into the city from the outskirts) to hazardous chemicals.

But the second issue that media reports focused on was why so many people fell victim to the fire. One reason was overcrowding on the bus; another was that although the bus was reportedly equipped with safety hammers to break the windows, the panicked passengers either didn't know how or didn't think to use them.

Some links:
Bus fire story: http://www.gochengdoo.com/en/blog/item/955/bus_fire_on_third_ring_road_leaves_more_than_20_dead
Citywide bus-safety overhaul report: http://www.cctv.com/program/chinatoday/20090616/102719.shtml (Note that a reported 1,000 new buses will enter Chengdu's fleet this September. In the four years that I've been here I've personally witnessed three generations of buses already. Despite the continual improvements made to the buses themselves, overcrowding remains, from my vantage point as a passenger, the largest deterrent from taking the bus. Besides, this is a very bikeable city, although with the high incidence of bike theft biking can be a pricey habit.)

Underlining the urgency of the safety issue, the week following the Chengdu bus fire, a bus in Shenzhen apparently exploded. I don't know the full details on that as many of the reports were blocked within the country.

Jane