[sustran] [World Streets] Reducing transportation's carbon consumption - Comments

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Tue Jun 16 14:56:06 JST 2009

<http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kbTo-M_pSuw/SjcoICtrgpI/AAAAAAAAA5A/mgIgKt6QU64/s
1600-h/p2p-nma.jpg>
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kbTo-M_pSuw/SjcoICtrgpI/AAAAAAAAA5A/mgIgKt6QU64/s2
00/p2p-nma.jpg
Last Thursday, 11 June, we posted to World Streets
<http://www.worldstreets.org/>  an advanced working draft of a proposal and
recommendations for a joint work program of the US Dept of Transportation
and the Environmental Protection Agency in our area of expertise -- to be
submitted after peer review here, and subsequent amendment, to the public
site of organized by the National Journal in Washington DC where expert
opinion is being gathered in a broad-based collaborative effort to provide
high profile information and insights for the incoming Obama policy teams in
those two important institutions.
The original question posed by the National Journal team can be found here
<http://energy.nationaljournal.com/2009/06/how-should-epa-and-dot-reduce.php
> . along with all the responses to be posted as of this date. Our original
draft posting of 11 June here
<http://newmobilityagenda.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-should-epa-and-dot-reduce
.html> .

* Click here to access the Comments
<http://newmobilityagenda.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-should-epa-and-dot-reduce
.html#comments>  and peer discussion as of this date. (Recommended!)

Our continuous challenge here, and beyond, is how can we help assemble the
ideas, energies, and expertise of the broadest range of sources and views to
help inform and guide public policy. While the other half of democracy is
active citizenry, it is not always so evident how to achieve that. Each of
us has to do their part.

This process of public consultation and open peer review of which you have
one example here is one we take very seriously, and if you have the time and
taste to dig in here you will see why. As editor I find that this
interactive process of mutually challenging our ideas is one of the great
strengths of this World Streets project.

And you, of course, are invited to add your comments to the above.

Eric Britton
Editor