[sustran] Re: Regional focus for sustran-discuss: Asia or the global South?

Sujit Patwardhan patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 03:50:11 JST 2009

*there is a taboo about expressing opinions, an activity often felt to be
reserved for politicians and the most senior officers
*

Thankfully that is fast changing.
--
Sujit

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 9:21 PM, Jonathan E. D. Richmond <
richmond at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> I do not think the issue is fear of lack of knowledge but fear of
> punishment.
>
> In many Asian countries there is a taboo about expressing opinions, an
> activity often felt to be reserved for politicians and the most senior
> officers --Jonathan!
>

> On Sat, 6 Jun 2009, Carlosfelipe Pardo wrote:
>
>  Paul and everyone,
>>
>> The discussions on geographical focus and participation are very useful
>> for Sustran. I'll comment briefly on both:
>>
>> - Regarding participation, I think it's lacking due to a bit of shyness
>> from members of the group. I've met with many people when we did various
>> training courses in Asia that would have great ideas and examples on
>> these topics that would be extremely useful for places such as sustran.
>> However, many of these people say they are "silent readers" of sustran.
>> I guess what some people feel is that they aren't knowledgeable enough
>> to give some input here, but everyone should take part! I invite all
>> participants to think about a topic that they've always wondered about
>> regarding sustainable transport and post it on sustran to see what other
>> people think. It doesn't matter if we've discussed it already or if it's
>> obvious, because many people will be reading about it for the first
>> time. Also, I think the essence of sustran and these discussion groups
>> is that you can be as informal as you want (though respectful), as long
>> as you're making a contribution! Go ahead, everyone, tell us what you're
>> thinking.
>>
>> - Regarding geographical focus, I think it's very useful to have
>> broadened it to "the Global South". Problems in Asia, Latin America and
>> Africa are pretty similar (they differ mostly in degree, but not in
>> nature). So I'd say we should keep it global, also because many of us
>> have interesting news to give from any of these regions and feel that
>> they are relevant for people in other regions. Otherwise, why would we
>> promote stuff from Bogotá in Jakarta, and it works? I would even go as
>> far as to say that information from "the North" would also be useful
>> here, either as contrast or good or bad example.
>>
>> Actually, one true obstacle between geographical regions is language.
>> Asia is relatively "fluent" in English, while Latin America is mostly a
>> Spanish-speaking country and many people don't speak or understand
>> English. This is why we've also promoted the use of some discussion
>> groups in Spanish (predominantly, sustranlac , sutp-lac and
>> cities-for-mobility , all in yahoogroups) and they seem to work. Many
>> non-English speaking professionals from those regions are most thankful
>> for having developed these discussion spaces.
>>
>> Finally, thanks to Paul for moderating the group and for being part of
>> its creation and development.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Carlos.
>>

>> Paul Barter wrote:
>>

>>> Dear sustran-discussers

> [...]

“..each million we invest into urban motorways is an investment
to destroy the city“

Mayor Hans Joachim Vogel
Munich 1970

Sujit Patwardhan
patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
sujitjp at gmail.com
Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007, India
Tel: +91 20 25537955
Cell: +91 98220 26627
Parisar: www.parisar.org
PTTF: www.pttf.net