[sustran] Re: Regional focus for sustran-discuss: Asia or the globalSouth?

Brendan Finn etts at indigo.ie
Sun Jun 7 05:36:22 JST 2009

Zvi, Jonathon,

I agree with the points you both make, although these are applicable more in the Asian culture and rather less in the American culture.

In addition, I would suggest another aspect - employer and client confidentiality. Those in the best position to highlight new issues and to explain decision-taking, apparent paradoxes, or to illustrate points by specific examples can often only do so by sharing information that is not in the public domain. In many cases this would mean breaking confidences of our organisation, employer, client or network. Perhaps this is just another aspect of fear of punishment or fear of loss of face. However, I think for many it is just contrary to our training, where we temper opportunities to make ourselves look knowledgeable (at least in our own eyes!) against what we consider to be our responsibilities.

It is ironic that on matters about which we know least we can be free, contentious and indulge in hyperbole; whereas on the matters we know most we are cautious, inhibited and often silent.

That said, I agree with Paul and others that the Sustran community should be more participative, and that we would all get more out of it by contribution, dialogue and respectful debate than when we are just silent readers.

With best wishes,

Brendan.
Brendan Finn          e-mail : etts at indigo.ie          tel : +353.87.2530286