[sustran] Re: Regional focus for sustran-discuss: Asia or the global South?

Carlosfelipe Pardo carlosfpardo at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 21:41:03 JST 2009

Paul and everyone,

The discussions on geographical focus and participation are very useful
for Sustran. I'll comment briefly on both:

- Regarding participation, I think it's lacking due to a bit of shyness
from members of the group. I've met with many people when we did various
training courses in Asia that would have great ideas and examples on
these topics that would be extremely useful for places such as sustran.
However, many of these people say they are "silent readers" of sustran.
I guess what some people feel is that they aren't knowledgeable enough
to give some input here, but everyone should take part! I invite all
participants to think about a topic that they've always wondered about
regarding sustainable transport and post it on sustran to see what other
people think. It doesn't matter if we've discussed it already or if it's
obvious, because many people will be reading about it for the first
time. Also, I think the essence of sustran and these discussion groups
is that you can be as informal as you want (though respectful), as long
as you're making a contribution! Go ahead, everyone, tell us what you're
thinking.

- Regarding geographical focus, I think it's very useful to have
broadened it to "the Global South". Problems in Asia, Latin America and
Africa are pretty similar (they differ mostly in degree, but not in
nature). So I'd say we should keep it global, also because many of us
have interesting news to give from any of these regions and feel that
they are relevant for people in other regions. Otherwise, why would we
promote stuff from Bogotá in Jakarta, and it works? I would even go as
far as to say that information from "the North" would also be useful
here, either as contrast or good or bad example.

Actually, one true obstacle between geographical regions is language.
Asia is relatively "fluent" in English, while Latin America is mostly a
Spanish-speaking country and many people don't speak or understand
English. This is why we've also promoted the use of some discussion
groups in Spanish (predominantly, sustranlac , sutp-lac and
cities-for-mobility , all in yahoogroups) and they seem to work. Many
non-English speaking professionals from those regions are most thankful
for having developed these discussion spaces.

Finally, thanks to Paul for moderating the group and for being part of
its creation and development.

Best regards,

Carlos.