[sustran] Re: [World Streets] Honk! Battered Bicycles in Paris

Ian Perry ianenvironmental at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 2 21:17:43 JST 2009

Hi Todd,

What goes through the minds of the individuals who vandalise bicycles is
very little...  Vandalism of bicycles is not limited to bike-sharing, but to
private bicycles too.  Some see great entertainment value in vandalising
bicyles here in the Netherlands, particularly late at night on their way
home from a bar.  I doubt very much that the car lobby or taxi drivers are
behind the vandalism in Paris.

The Dutch police do very little to prevent bicycle crime and will only
register a theft, I'm told, if you can present the original two keys for
your cut bicycle lock.  It's not only the poor who steal and vandalise, but
the privileged too, sometimes seeking retribution for a bicycle of theirs
that was stolen, and so a cycle begins/continues.

What is the answer?  Perhaps we need to look east to the land of the rising
sun.

Ian