[sustran] [World Streets] World Street Weekly Digest - 22-29 May 2009

The Editor editor at worldstreets.org
Tue Jun 2 00:22:08 JST 2009

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
12.00 Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE
MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt
0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
Articles & Comments appearing in week of 22-29 May 2009

All entries directly clickable to full article. For previous weeks and
months, click to Archives, library and reading room

Plan B: The New Mobility Agenda (Start here)Op-Ed: The choice challenge
(Try nudging)Brainfood: Canned video interviews via SkypeHonk! Swine
flu increases traffic fatalities in Mexico CityBack from Seoul: Denis
Baupin on Cities against Climate ChangeHonk! Veronica Moss,
lobbyistVirtuous cycles: It’s all about choiceHonk! Help April (help
us)Who reads World Streets? And where?

Op-Ed: The choice challenge (Try nudging)

By The Editor

‘Nudging’ travel behaviour change through the design of information
systems… - Erel Avineri, University of the West of England Today’s
travellers have a wealth of information at their disposal to help plan
and execute their journeys. The availability of travel information to
the public has changed dramatically in recent years with the increasing
use of the internet and mobile communications.

Brainfood: Canned video interviews via Skype

If you have a minute you may want to have a quick look at this. You may
find some use in it. A few weeks ago some friends from The Movement
Design Bureau in London (Eyes on the Street), called over to suggest
that we might spend a few minutes together to demo a Skype video link
they are working with in a program they call Re*Move (forgive them,
they're English). To give our video some content

Honk! Swine flu increases traffic fatalities in Mexico City

This is a very short note, but I thought folks on the World Streets
blog might appreciate this traffic factoid from here in Mexico.
Apparently the swine flu in Mexico City caused few real deaths but many
traffic deaths. The large drop in the volume of cars increased
velocities and also increased traffic fatalities. There were 12 traffic
fatalities in the 6 days before the government issued their

Back from Seoul: Denis Baupin on Cities against Climate Change

We try very hard in World Streets to stick to our topic, which is
already broad enough. But from time to time we reach out to give
attention to the basic underpinnings of public policy which shape the
basic environment of our sector and our ability to do something about
it. In this spirit, we are pleased to present here a
recent "reflection" made by Denis Baupin, Deputy Mayor of Paris

Honk! Veronica Moss, lobbyist

>From our ever busy friends over at StreetFilms, two and a half minutes
with Miss Veronica Moss, convinced SUV-ist, unbending defender of her
right to the road, and apparently lobbyist in the corridors of power in
Washington DC. Try it with your morning tea break. (Only in America,
right? Oh? ) * Click here to listen to Miss Moss make her

Virtuous cycles: It’s all about choice

- Gordon Price, PriceTags, Vancouver, Canada It has taken a century of
building almost exclusively for the car to get us to our current
dilemma. It will take some time to achieve long-term solutions.
Ultimately, they can only be found in the way we build our cities. We
will have to establish virtuous cycles to offset the vicious ones,
where success leads to more success. There is no single

Honk! Help April (help us)

Dear Photographers, Artists and Eyes on the Street colleagues
worldwide, Our friend April Streeter, an environmental journalist,
mother of two young cyclists, and Eyes on the Street Sentinel from
Gothenburg Sweden is in the process of preparing a book which is
focusing on urban women cyclists in all the very different corners of
our often hard-to-cycle-in world.-

Who reads World Streets? And where?

In the last week close to two thousand thoughtful people from 140
cities and 36 countries of this suddenly quite small planet dropped in
to pick up their free copy of the latest edition of World Streets.
Looks like you are one of them. You and others joined us from cities
in . . . . Australia. Belgium. Brazil. Canada. Colombia. Croatia. Czech
Republic. Denmark. France. Germany.

Green Light on World Streets: Next Steps

World Streets: Insights and discussion points from leading thinkers and
practitioners around the world. World Streets, the world's first
independent sustainable transportation daily, is about to complete its
first trimester of activity, so we thought this would be a good time to
address one of the important building blocks of this effort, notably
the potential for collaboration and exchange among

Comments:

Most of this I fully agree with. If people are to ...

from World Streets Comments by Ian Perry (Cardiff, UK)

Most of this I fully agree with If people are to take taxis when it is
raining, these taxis and their drivers will be unemployed when it is
not raining. Can these taxis and their drivers find alternative
employment depending on the weather? If you are to meet peak demand for
taxis and car share, then you have to have the capacity, which is, then
unemployed when demand is low, but still

I'm working in India as a transport and sustainability ...

from World Streets Comments by Simon Bishop

I'm working in India as a transport and sustainability consultant. I
shifted independently with my family from a job as a planner in London
Whilst Gandhi can seem a long way from where middle class India is
headed right now and he is often not remembered for some of the most
far-sighted views that he held, there is one ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL
ADDITION to your list of 12 strategic goals

From: Gail Jennings [mailto:gail at mobilitymagazine....

from World Streets Comments by Gail Jennings

From: Gail Jennings [mailto:gail at mobilitymagazine.co.za] Hi Eric Just
wanted to let you know that New Mobility and World Streets are SUCH
excellent resources - there is nowhere better (that I've found,
anyway!) to find out what's up and what's not, to get an overview of
right-now mobility issues. Even on a Sunday afternoon, the sites are
worth visiting!

David Levinger said... Actually, when I read ...

from World Streets Comments by David Levinger

David Levinger said.. Actually, when I read this article, I felt (A)
that the commenters appeared not to have understood that the German
town is not actually *car-free*, but that residents who own cars simply
have to park at the edges of the town (B) perplexed at their choice to
feature a commenter who stated that there are only six U.S. cities in

--
Posted By The Editor to World Streets at 6/01/2009 05:20:00 AM