[sustran] Re: [World Streets] Honk! Battered Bicycles in Paris

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.eu
Mon Jun 1 17:52:48 JST 2009

Hi,

I would like to ask:

* Does in fact the Municipality of Paris own the system ("...Velib is
yours...")?
* Who do people think really owns it? Paris? JCDecaux? "The people"?
* How is destruction of the bikes tied in with attitudes about
advertising in general, and JCDecaux in particular?
* Is there any data on what people who damage bikes etc. think? Their
demographic profile? Their reasons or lack thereof? Is it basically the
same thing as destruction of collective public transport vehicles
(non-functional damage such as tags on windows)? Does anyone suspect
that the taxi or private car lobbies are behind it?
* What other "steps" are being taken?

Thanks,

The Editor wrote:
> [http://newmobilityagenda.blogspot.com/2009/02/reports-of-velibs-demise-greatly.html]
>

> Vélib, Paris's pioneering, city-transforming public bike project has
> had its fair share (actually unfair share I would say) of vandalism
> and theft, and while it does not threaten the integrity and viability
> of the service, it is part of the landscape of public bikes and needs
> to be understood and taken into account. There is, in fact, a great
> deal that can be done to reduce the magnitude of these challenges ,
> and indeed steps are being taken here. That said, let's have a look at
> some of the examples of damage, which have been collected for us by
> vigilant Eyes on the Street Sentinel in Paris, Larry Langner.
>

> And here you have a poster placed on one of the JCDecaux street signs
> in Paris, warning that: "Breaking a bike is easy. It can't defend
> itself".
>
> And then: "16,000 bikes vandalised, 8000 disappeared. Velib is yours.
> Protect it.
>
> For more examples, click to http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-264472
>
> * Editor's note: Click here
> <http://newmobilityagenda.blogspot.com/2009/02/reports-of-velibs-demise-greatly.html>to
> read report on "Reports of Vélib’s Demise Greatly Exaggerated
> <http://newmobilityagenda.blogspot.com/2009/02/reports-of-velibs-demise-greatly.html>"
>

> --
> Posted By The Editor to World Streets
> <http://newmobilityagenda.blogspot.com/2009/06/honk-battered-bicycles-in-paris.html>
> at 6/01/2009 06:51:00 AM

> IMPORTANT NOTE to everyone who gets sustran-discuss messages via YAHOOGROUPS.
>
> Please go to http://list.jca.apc.org/manage/listinfo/sustran-discuss to join the real sustran-discuss and get full membership rights. The yahoogroups version is only a mirror and 'members' there cannot post to the real sustran-discuss (even if the yahoogroups site makes it seem like you can). Apologies for the confusing arrangement.

> SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred, equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries (the 'Global South').

Todd Edelman
Green Idea Factory

Urbanstr. 45
D-10967 Berlin
Germany

Skype: toddedelman
Mobile: ++49 0162 814 4081
Home/Office: ++49 030 7554 0001

edelman at greenidea.eu
www.greenidea.eu
www.flickr.com/photos/edelman

CAR is over. If you want it.

"Fort mit der Autostadt und was Neues hingebaut!"
- B. Brecht (with slight modification)