[sustran] Mumbai Rail Commuter Survey

Karthik Rao Cavale krc12353 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 01:39:00 JST 2009

Hi,

On the results of the Mumbai Rail Commuter Survey, I can see at least two
differing opinions in newspapers (which amazes me to no small extent. how
can you have such diverging conclusions on what data says?)

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Cities/Mumbai/88_passengers_train_gun_on_a_cool_trip/articleshow/4039026.cms

and

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2009/jan/180109-air-conditioned-locals-expensive-second-class-commuters-Mumbai-News-refusals.htm

Can somebody clear the air? (figuratively, apologies to Sudhir Gota)

Personally, Mid-day's report sounds more plausible. ToI claims that 79% of
the commuters travel first-class (in a fact-box that is not available in the
e-version) - if that is the result of a survey, then MVRC is just a bad
surveyor. I would like to mention that I am inclined to support those who
are against the AC coaches. Where there is already so much demand, it is of
prime importance that the existing users are given some semblance of comfort
before bringing in AC coaches.

There is a real danger that these AC coaches will go the Bangalore volvo
way. No one would benefit.

Warm Regards,
karthik