[sustran] Last call for your entry for "What lessons can America learn . . . "

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Thu Jan 22 17:02:39 JST 2009

Good morning and last call:

We need to hear from you with your recommendation  by MID-NIGHT TONIGHT.
This will give me just enough time to do my best to cobble all the great
ideas that we are receiving into a coherent and striking piece for our
friends at the DOT.

Thanks for all your support on this, and if you have not yet gotten your
candidate in – ONE IDEA, CONCEPT, APPROACH IN 250 WORDS OR LESS – now is the
time to do it.

Make sure that there is at least one idea from your country for us. Think of
it as a gift for Obama. You can do it!

Kind thanks and best from a gray Paris (and when by the way is your city
going to have thousands of free bikes and safe cycling?)

Eric Britton

 “What lessons can America learn from the rest of the world . . .?”

Game Plan for new mobility group project as of 22 Jan. 09

Topic:  You are invited to contribute a short statement/recommendation (250
words max!!) OUTLINING A SINGLE CONCEPT, POLICY, PRACTICE, PROJECT, PROGRAM
IDEA that you feel the Obama transportation  team will do well to look at
seriously as they prepare to lead transportation policy in America for the
next four years.

The question: “What lessons can America learn from the rest of the world in
terms of transportation developments that are safe, efficient,
cost-effective, and sustainable?

“We Americans often think of ourselves as sitting at the very top of the
social, economic, technological, entertainment, and political pyramid.
After all, we invented human flight, the Super Bowl, the Interstate Highway,
the transcontinental railroad, and Rock ‘n’ Roll.  But perhaps we’re not as
advanced as we like to think.  Perhaps innovations in transportation, land
use, and energy consumption are much more evenly distributed around the
world than we ever thought possible.  Indeed, perhaps America is closer to
the middle or bottom of the pyramid when it comes to transportation
investments.  What lessons can America learn from the rest of the world in
terms of transportation developments that are safe, efficient,
cost-effective, and sustainable?”

editorial direction of Eric Britton and the New Mobility Agenda. The idea is
to tap the rich backgrounds, knowledge  and imaginations of the more than
two thousand colleagues and groups who regularly share information, ideas
and materials under the various focus programs of the Agenda. Colleagues
around the world are being invited to share their thoughts and
recommendations in succinct form as a group compilation, being organized and
presented by Britton who has been invited to serve as one of the panel
members, with a particular responsibility for providing international
coverage of perspectives.

Background:  Selected contributions to be posted to National Journal 2009
Transportation Expert  Panel: http://transportation.nationaljournal.com/ to
open up this question on Monday a.m., 26 Jan. 2009

Submittal deadline – Friday, 23 January 2009

Subject heading:  “What lessons can America learn from the rest of the world
. . .?” (kindly retain this heading exactly for Search
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewMobilityCafe/msearch?query=%22what+lessons
%22&submit=Search&charset=ISO-8859-1>  purposes, see below)

Post your proposed recommendation to: editor at newmobility.org

-          who will review, possibly contact you with minor editorial/layout
suggestions, then post to the New Mobility Café  where you can view all
items to date via
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewMobilityCafe/msearch?query=%22what+lessons%
22
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewMobilityCafe/msearch?query=%22what+lessons
%22&submit=Search&charset=ISO-8859-1> &submit=Search&charset=ISO-8859-1

Submittal format (As below, kindly respect):

1.     Message from (Country name)

2.     Subject line (10 words max. to set stage for entry)

3.     Text: 250 words max!!! (Yes I know it’s hard)

4.     URL Ref: (As available to support your entry)

5.     Signature block (3 lines, my example)

Eric Britton – eric.britton at newmobility.org

New Mobility Partnerships – www.newmobility.org

Paris, France

Updates: It upon reflection and/or  upon reviewing the other commentaries
you wish to modify your original presentation, please send your revised text
to editor at newmobility.org

Sharing this invitation: Please do if you have colleagues or lists whom you
think may be able to come up with additional ideas and entries.