[sustran] Information on transportation activity in India

Aashish Gupta aashu.gupta20 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 01:23:44 JST 2009

Dear All

I am currently assisting Professor Sudhir Chella Rajan on a project with the
aim of creating energy scenarios for India. I have the task of estimating
energy use in transport (and then creating scenarios), using activity levels
of different modes and their average energy intensities.

I am running into some problems, hence this mail.

As a part of this Project, I need to know the activity levels of cycling and
walking (in BPKM) for the whole of India. I have not come across this kind
of Data even for Indian Cities, and most studies mention just the modal
share for cycling and walking and ownership percentages for cycles.

If some study would have surveyed the average trip length by walk/cycle and
also provided the total number of trips by cycle/walk (or total number of
trips in a city along with modal shares of walk and cycle) it would be
possible to calculate activity levels for cycling and walking.
Unfortunately, I have not come across any such study.

Even if such data would be available, my concern here is with the activity
levels for the whole of India, not for some specific cities. It is unclear
to me how I am going to do this, though assigning weights to different kinds
of cities may reveal a crude estimate. That estimate will still exclude
usage in rural India.

Does anyone know of any study that has attempted to find answers to any of
these questions?

Also, has any one calculated/estimated the usage of diesel and petrol cars?
Data on total travel by cars is available, but not data that differentiates
between travel by diesel and petrol cars. We need this data to work out the
scenarios.

With thanks

Aashish

Aashish Gupta
Student of Development Studies
Department of Humanities and Social Sciences
Indian Institute of Technology Madras
Chennai 600036
+91 9884774698
aashu.gupta20 at gmail.com