[sustran] Re: Jakarta: Activists say Carfree Days are "A Waste"

Zvi Leve zvi.leve at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 01:03:14 JST 2009

Obviously the devil is in the details. In Bogota, the program is implemented
in a very coherent and comprehensive way, but this has been developed over
years of experience (here are more details in
Spanish<http://www.idrd.gov.co/www/section-875.jsp>).
There are connected corridors from one end of the city to the
other<http://www.idrd.gov.co/www/resources/MAPACICLOVIA%20_noviembre%202006%20%201000.jpg>which
become effectively 'non-motorized' during the ciclovia period. Plus
they have very effective enforcement to keep it that way. I have a number of
relatively recent pictures of Bogota's Ciclovia on my photo
web-site<http://flickr.com/search/?q=ciclovia&w=77386913%40N00>,
plus there is an entire photo pool dedicated to
it<http://www.flickr.com/groups/856608@N22/pool/>
.

If there is no connectivity between the areas which have the ciclovia
activities and there is not serious planning and enforcement, then it
certainly could make things worse. But change does not happen by some
miracle. It takes continuous concerted efforts. If the current
implementation in Jakarta is not working, then perhaps it is best to review
what the problems are.... Better not to waste the current momentum with a
faulty implementation.

Best regards,

Zvi