[sustran] Re: Rickshaw puller in Dhaka earns Tk 6, 300 per month: JICA study

Ahuja, Sonal (Capita Symonds) Sonal.Ahuja at capita.co.uk
Mon Dec 28 07:07:29 JST 2009

My question to the group will be, is that money enough for a man with two kids to be able to bring a good healthy family, educate and get yourself out of powerty? Probably not. This earning is about £63 a month.

The income must be measured with its purchase power. And normalised to see the real income. It would be very wrong to admit that that rickshaw pullers have a good standard of living let alone  anywhere a standard comparable to minimum wage earners in Europe leave alone rickshaw pullers in London.

I agree with Aashish, in our resarch on richshaw pullers in Old Delhi conducted in I999 we found that 98% of rickshaw pullers take this profession not out of choice and more than 73% pay a rent for it. So what is meaning ful let as an income is debatable.

I know the reserch is old but I don't things have changed a lot in India and in Banglsdesh.

With warm regards

Sonal

Sonal Ahuja

Associate Director,

Development Transport and Infrastructure

CAPITA SYMONDS
86 Fetter Lane
London EC4A 1EN

United Kingdom