[sustran] Re: Rickshaw puller in Dhaka earns Tk 6, 300 per month: JICA study

Aashish Gupta aashu.gupta20 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 13:08:16 JST 2009

I wrote this to Sudhir earlier, thought I must share my response to the
others.

While I am able to appreciate the finding that Rikshaw Pullers earn 6,300 Tk
from us, it must be mentioned that Income earned might not be a good
criteria of whether the lives of Rickshaw pullers are 'deprived' or not.

Consider for instance that most will lack any form of insurance - health,
life, assets etc. - which means that one accident or illness and their
savings are wiped out, plus the fact that they cant work for the time they
are ill; most live in squalor which increases health risks and is a form of
degraded living. There is much inclusion from social services (one form of
deprivation) as well as a high level of livelihood risks - some emanating
from the occupation itself.

Just to clarify, while we are supportive of Rickshaws in cities, we must
recognise that even when they earn a good income, there are many avoidable
risks and hazards which they face.

In this context, Sudhir recommended the following link -
http://cai-asia.blogspot.com/2009/07/transport-refugees-victims-of-unjust.html