[sustran] Re: DRAFT FOOTPATH RULES

Chris Bradshaw c_bradshaw at rogers.com
Thu Dec 24 01:00:02 JST 2009

I have scanned the proposed regulations.

They are ambitious, since a lot of funds will be expended to conform to
them.  There should be lower speed limits on motor vehicles in sections with
no formal segregation, until they are constructed.

I like the principle of "shy distance" which I have not heard of before.  It
is a good idea, where structures come right up to the non-curb side of the
footpath.  I also like the active role of ward councils in enforcement
against infringements.  Over here in Canada, the process is much slower
and less local, and the shop owners who put stuff on sidewalks take full
advantage of it.

I also like the requirement for a setback of at least three feet between the
footpath and the curb.  It removes the need to dip the footpath where there
is a driveway entrance, a silly convention that favours motorists making
private access movements over pedestrians using a public facility.  It also
allows for a space for car doors to swing, to avoid conflicts for
pedestrians

I didn't see any requirement for "bulb-outs", where the sidewalk extends
into the parking lane at corners, preventing illegal parking in these
sections, while providing space for seating, vendors, standing for those
waiting for transit, and it makes the crossing of the street shorter.  It
also removes the parking lane for peak-hour use for moving traffic,
another improper prioritization of modes (the "green transportation
hierarchy" should be part of this, making walking the highest, priority,
followed by human-powered modes, transit, and finally private cars).

At one point pedestrians were referred to as a "segment of modes", which
implies that people who walk are a different group of people, like a class.
But all those who use other modes walk as part of their travel, and that is
at the beginning and end of trips, which could be anywhere.  Keep in mind
that walking is vastly under measured by engineers, mainly because trips are
so short and often don't involve any crossing of roads at formal
intersections.

Chris Bradshaw
Ottawa, Canada,
"Honour thy pedestrian and thy cyclist; they foulest not thy nest."