[sustran] [World Streets] Report from South Africa: Wheeling and Healing

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Fri Aug 28 19:20:09 JST 2009

<http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kbTo-M_pSuw/SpeGYW7nMCI/AAAAAAAABeQ/T2TgHGbhJlE/s
1600-h/ws-southafrica-bike1.jpg> One billion needful people live in Africa
and when it comes to sustainable mobility they are not getting a lot of help
from the wealthy North. It's not that they need us to send them all our
treasure, that's not the point. It's our example that counts. Let's start to
give dignity to sustainable, healthy behavior on our own streets and we will
have done out part. Gail Jennings reports on biking prejudices in South
Africa.

Wheeling and Healing

- Gail Jennings, Eyes on the Streets Seniin Capetown

CAPE TOWN, Aug 5 (IPS) - Every weekday morning, a stylish procession leaves
the offices of MaAfrika Tikkun NGO in Delft, Cape Town; bumps and jolts
through the gravel entry gates; then hits the tar and scatters into every
corner of the township...

"Those people, they are mos kwaai jong (now very cool) - they drive a
bicycle now..." says an envious onlooker.

--> The full text of this article appears today in World
<http://newmobilityagenda.blogspot.com/>  Streets at
http://WorldStreets.org/

--> To read all World Streets <http://newmobilityagenda.blogspot.com/>
articles on the Global South  click to http://tinyurl.com/ws-globalsouth

--> To check out the monthly editions and the archives -
http://tinyurl.com/ws-archive