[sustran] [World Streets] John Whitelegg on The global transport challenge

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Wed Aug 12 16:42:26 JST 2009

  World Streets: Heavy traffic on the way to sustainable cities and
sustainable lives . . .

John Whitelegg on The global transport challenge

<http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kbTo-M_pSuw/SmWuyBKJ7qI/AAAAAAAABNc/Jt6oIrleC8o/s
1600-h/ws-pic-whitelegg.jpg>
The world's transport system wastes lives, health, and money - and is
choking the planet. There is a world transport crisis. Three thousand people
are killed every day in road-traffic accidents, air pollution from vehicles
is bathing our cities in a chemical soup and deaths from respiratory
diseases exceed deaths in traffic accidents. Citizens need to take control.
- John Whitelegg, Editor, World Transport Policy and Practice

This would be a high price to pay for a perfectly functioning transport
system that delivers people and goods speedily and efficiently but this is
not the case. All countries and cities spend a lot of money for a transport
"solution" that has failed
<http://www.time.com/time/asia/covers/501040809/story.html> . In a rare
example of global unity and shared experience car commuters in Los Angeles
are stuck in traffic jams in the same way as they are in Bangkok, Delhi,
Beijing and Rio.
Our highway-based transport systems purchased at huge expense are failing
miserably to deliver anything. We have created a very expensive way of
organising transport in cities, one that is grossly inefficient and one that
exacts a terrible penalty in deaths <http://www.roadpeace.org/> , injuries
and lifetime disability.

--> The full text of this article appears in World Streets today at
http://WorldStreets.org/