[sustran] Re: Depreciation periods for buses in Singapore

Jains alok.priyanka at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 15:14:29 JST 2009

Dear Mike,

To add to an excellent summary of bus regulations in Hong Kong, I have the
following extracted from a past paper that I wrote on a similar issue:

1. Public Bus Services Ordinance (PBSO) requires a Certificate of Fitness
(COF) examination with frame check when a bus reaches 17 years of age should
the bus companies wish to extend the license for 1 more year, which is
understood to be the maximum age permitted by Transport Department (TD)
since 1998. The normal practice of the franchised bus companies is to retire
their buses when they reach the age of 17 years as the cost of COF
examination does not generally justify a 1-year life extension.

2. Buses need to pass an annual examination before they can be re-licensed
every year. At year 17, TD requires an inspection to be carried out on the
structural frame condition of the bus frame (i.e. COF inspection), which
requires extensive dismantling of the body parts.

3. TD does not specify a maximum bus age for franchised buses and would
normally allow re-licensing of buses if they pass the annual vehicle
examinations (with COF inspection at age 17 and every three years onwards,
i.e. at age 20 and 23 etc);

4. By mutual agreement, TD and franchised bus operators decided that
franchised buses should be subject to mandatory retirement when they reach
the 18th anniversary of their date of 1st registration.

5. For non-franchised buses (NFB), as long as they are able to pass the COF
or COR there is no agreement on a mandatory age for retirement. However, the
average age of NFBs are 6.7 years and they normally retire at about 10 - 12
years of age.

6. In his policy address the Chief Executive indicated that the Government
would spend $3.2 billion to provide an incentive for the early replacement
of 74,000 pre-Euro and Euro I diesel commercial vehicles with new vehicles
meeting Euro IV exhaust emission standards. The Government would allow
pre-Euro vehicle owners 18 months and Euro I vehicle owners three years to
take up the offer.
If you wish to discuss this further, contact me off-list.

Best Regards
Alok