[sustran] my comment to BW article: Letter To Steve Rattner on Ousting GM's CEO Richard Wagoner

chuwa chuwasg at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 4 18:42:53 JST 2009

April  4, 2009 12:56 AM

							Bruce, thanks for posting the question. But I believe your suggestion is pointing from one dead end to another.

The fundamental issues is:

Does automotive make sense?

   All forms of car are intrinsically too heavy, too fast, too dangerous and demand constant attention from the driver.

Even if the hybrid car can achieve 100% energy efficient, the man-car
system is only about 5% efficient, consider the driver, the person who
need to move from A to B, is 5% of the total weight. In addition, the
electric power still need to be generated from somewhere, most likely
by burning oil. The amount of pollution into the atmosphere will be
more, in somewhere else.

The Nano may be a wonderful cost breakthrough. But think of the
congestion and pollution in Mambai or many other cities, now add
another 20% of cheap cars. What will it like?

   If the thinking is trap into finding a "car solution", you are not likely to get a real breakthrough.

   Think bicycle:

It's energy efficient, no pollution, not dangerous, and improve the rider's fitness.

Look to the growing list of "pro-bicycle" countries instead;
Holland, Denmark, France, UK. Taiwan.. These countries all introduce
systems that flavor bicycle as urban transport.
 A lot has to be
done to make bicycle practical in US. Such challenge is a perfect
opportunity for big companies like GM. And I am sure such effort will
be more worthwhile and meaningful than looking for the best innovation
in another car.
-------------------------Link to the article:http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/NussbaumOnDesign/archives/2009/03/letter_to_steve.html