[sustran] [World Streets] Honk! TransAlt Tasked with Renaming American Autos

Eric Britton (Paris, France) editor at worldstreets.org
Thu Apr 2 18:40:53 JST 2009

[http://transalt.org/newsroom/releases/3152]
Release Date
April 1, 2009

Press Release Contact

WASHINGTON - In a move that stunned industry insiders, President Obama
announced that the New York City-based nonprofit Transportation
Alternatives would be responsible for renaming hundreds of
American-made automobiles. The decision, a last-minute addition to his
auto-Industry bailout package, is considered a precursor to the
President's larger 'Truth in Advertising' agenda.

"I'm sick of all their lies," said President Obama, when asked why he
ripped off the Suburban name-plate on his Presidential vehicle and
replaced it with a bumper sticker reading "Jerk Mobile."

The President has disliked corporate doublespeak for many years. It now
appears that he has set his reformer-sites squarely on an industry
renowned for misrepresenting its product through ads and branding.

"This guy is awesome," said Transportation Alternatives executive
director Paul Steely White, as he and President Obama unveiled the
Cadillac Bailout XXXL (Obesity Edition).

Other names introduced in this first-round of rebrands include the
Chevrolet Impaler, the Dodge Stratospheric Ozone Depleter, the Ford
Impotenza, the Jeep Mangler, the Chevrolet Asthma, the GMC (Saudi)
Envoy and the Pontiac Pen15.

###

[Editor's note: I am sure that the TransAlt rename team will appreciate
international help for their gigantic task. Send your nominations right
here to their fearless leader Mr. Steely White who awaits them with
real interst. And you tell tell him that we sent you.]

Source: Image courtesy of New York Observer article.

--
Posted By Eric Britton (Paris, France) to World Streets at 4/01/2009
11:21:00 AM