[sustran] Mobilien: Paris' Version of Bus Rapid Transit

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Mon Sep 29 23:12:59 JST 2008

Latest from StreetFilms at http://www.streetfilms.org/archives/mobilien/

Text introduction:

Le Mobilien is Paris' version of what we know as a bus rapid transit system
or a surface mass transport network. Paris has been doing "bus rapid
transit" for decades, and after years of on-street operation and continuous
fine-tuning they have now developed a system which they call the "Mobilien"
- French for MOBI-lity plus "LIEN" which means link.  Linking mobility.

Unlike the BRTs that most US cities are looking at, the Mobilien adapts to
different city contexts (i.e. street width and specific neighborhood
dynamics).  Mobilien doesn't aim at producing top speeds but making steady
progress through the traffic stream.   It launched in Paris after three
years of planning in 2004 with the goal of cutting down on car traffic. To
make the project possible, Paris' officials eliminated much on-street
parking to create dedicated bus lanes that are shared with bicycles, taxis
and emergency vehicles.

Eric Britton from the new Mobility Agenda took me on a tour of Mobilien

Comments welcome via NewMobilityCafe at yahoogroups.com