[sustran] Re: Ex-Bogota Mayor presents his concept of a developed city

Walter Hook whook at itdp.org
Tue Sep 23 02:30:30 JST 2008

Dear Eric,

Your comments infuriate me, as usual.

The Metro project in Delhi was discussed for years before anyone in India
had ever heard of Bus Rapid Transit.  Lima's Metro is still a hole in the
ground after decades. Where is our Second Avenue Subway, by the way?  The
MTA has a $1 billion deficit and Wall Street is in freefall.  When do you
think we will build the 2nd Avenue Subway when $700 billion is going to bail
out our banks?  Isn't it time to start looking for cheaper solutions, even
here in 'wealthy' US cities, where a couple billion dollars a mile could go
a whole lot farther with BRT solutions.

The fight for control of our streets, is, after all, the whole point, no?
By going around the problem on our city streets, you also don't solve the
problem of traffic fatalities, the air pollution, unsafe conditions for
cyclists, etc.   The Delhi BRT system, for all its flaws, wasn't just about
buses, it was about good pedestrian space, organized spaces for vendors, and
good bicycling lanes.  BRT actually got the government to pay attention to
all these problems with their road design. Your solution of going around the
problem is like moving to the suburbs to avoid the problems of the city
rather than fixing the problems in the city.

Who is saying TransMilenio is better than the best Metro system in the
world?  What is the point of this sort of question?

Our field is full of distortions and misrepresentations by advocates of one
mode or another.  But have a bit of proportion, Eric.  There is a long
history of metro rail advocates overstating the benefits of their projects,
misrepresenting projected profits, projected demand numbers, convincing
governments in developing countries of the merits of spending taxpayers
money on costly projects that largely benefit a few corporations and a few
wealthy neighborhoods.  If a few BRT advocates have occasionally overstated
their case, they are in very good company.

I believe some rail advocates were recently arrested in Brazil for paying
bribes, btw.