[sustran] Re: Are private cars the ideal transport?

Paul Barter peebeebarter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 16:54:16 JST 2008

Sorry to come in late on this conversation. This relates quite closely to
some work I have been doing (on which I fruitfully sought Chris's feedback a
few months back).

I have written a blog post about it here (
http://reinventingtransport.blogspot.com/2008/09/should-we-can-we-make-our-cars.html)
which links to a longer paper and to a poster.

The basic idea is this:

The way cars are possessed has not had the close attention it deserves. The
primary way of gaining access to cars has been assumed to be via owning one.
Possession has thus been taken for granted, preventing us from seeing it as
possibly problematic.

However, the link between car use and car possession is eroding, in both
practice and in theory. High mobility had been widely assumed to require a
car but it has recently become possible to envisage excellent mobility
through an integrated package of services and modes, including convenient
access to cars, without needing to possess one. This reveals possession (and
its sharp contrast with being car-free) as a source of 'rigidities' that
inhibit active choice making in travel.

Chris Bradshaw's ideas on 'metered access to shared cars' (MASC) as well as
various New Mobility ideas obviously resonate.

Paul Barter