[sustran] Re: Are private cars the ideal transport?

Jonathan Richmond richmond at alum.mit.edu
Mon Sep 8 04:23:33 JST 2008

My reaction to the original posting was "so what?"

I have a similar reaction again now.

The issue is not one primarily of economic analysis, but of political and
institutional constraints on many levels -- from ineffective bureaucracies
to political machinery that puts a lot of weight on pleasing the motorist
lobby.

We could of course repeat the whole discussion about why people do in
fact obtain extraordinary value from automobility and ask why public
transport has not been developed to offer those sorts of benefits, but I
don't think that is the point here.

The point is that if the current situation is to change then political and
institutional structures have to change, and discussion should revolve
increasingly around how to bring that about.

                                                    --Jonathan!

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, Todd Alexander Litman wrote:

> For more detailed analysis of the full costs of
> different forms of transport, and the benefits of
> shifts from automobile to alternative modes, see
> the report "Transportation Cost and Benefit
> Analysis" (www.vtpi.org/tca ). Under urban-peak
> conditions, automobile use is particularly costly
> while other modes are relatively efficient. By
> the way, this report is currently being updated,
> so a new version should be posted in about a month.
>
> Unfortunately, current transportation markets are
> distorted in various ways that favor mobility
> over accessibility and automobile transport over
> other modes, resulting in economically excessive
> automobile travel, a less diverse and efficient
> transportation system, and more sprawl than is
> optimal. Described more positively, there are
> many potential economic, social and environmental
> benefits to market and planning reforms that
> encourage more efficient transportation. This is
> discussed in my paper, "Socially Optimal
> Transport Prices and Markets"
> (www.vtpi.org/sotpm.pdf ). My analysis indicates
> that in a more efficient market, consumers would
> choose to own fewer cars, drive 30-50%
> less,  rely more on alternative modes, and be
> better off overall as a result. This is certainly
> true of developed countries, and is probably
> equally true in developing countries.
>

> Best wishes,
> -Todd Litman
>
> At 01:00 AM 9/7/2008, Saiful Alam wrote:
>>
>> Are private cars the ideal transport?
>>
>> Let us return to the private car.  Whatever
>> convenience and comfort it provides comes at
>> various costs.  Cars are the main source of
>> pollutants worldwide.  There is no such thing as
>> a clean car; cars just vary in the amount they
>> pollute.  Despite increasingly stringent
>> emissions control standards over the decades in
>> the US, cars pollute more than they used
>> to?because people are driving farther.
>>
>> It is difficult for us to appreciate just how
>> much cars pollute.  The air in Dhaka City, after
>> all, improved dramatically after the banning of
>> two-stroke baby taxis, and again with the
>> introduction of unleaded fuel.  However, this is
>> by no means an indication that the air in Dhaka
>> is clean.  Any trip to the countryside is a
>> reminder of the pleasure of breathing clean
>> air.  Even in Dhaka, if we wake up early and
>> take a walk, we can experience a bit of the
>> pleasure of fresh air; as each car passes, we
>> can also understand just how much each car
>> pollutes the air.  As the streets fill with
>> cars, the pollution rises.  On hartal days,
>> despite large numbers of people moving about the
>> city, the air is fresh and the city (violence
>> aside) is quiet.  Cars?and the wide paved roads
>> needed to accommodate them?also emit a great
>> deal of heat, making Dhaka even more insufferable in the many hot months.
>>
>> Cars also are the main cause of noise
>> pollution.  A full 97% of students in Dhaka in a
>> survey on noise pollution said that their
>> studying is disrupted by car horns; 96% of the
> [...]

-----
Jonathan Richmond
Transport Adviser to the Government of Mauritius
Ministry of Public Infrastructure, Land Transport and Shipping
New Government Centre, Level 4
Port Louis
Mauritius

+230 707-1134 (Mauritius mobile: most reliable way to reach me)

+1 (617) 395-4360 (US phone number rings at home -- call me in
Mauritius for the price of a call to the US).

e-mail: richmond at alum.mit.edu
http://the-tech.mit.edu/~richmond/