[sustran] Re: anyone know anything about bike parking in buildings regulations?

Carlosfelipe Pardo carlosfpardo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 04:41:16 JST 2008

Hi Walter,

Really useful discussion. It would be great if TA sends any document =

they produce on this! In Bogot=E1, there are two regulations related to thi=
s:

1- Plan de Ordenamiento Territorial (Decreto 469 de 2003, art=EDculo 256) =

- the sort of master plan of city development, says the following =

textually (my translation):
" for every type of use, one bicycle parking space shall be provided for =

every two [automobile] parking spaces, and dimensions will be =

established by DAPD [local planning department], which will be placed =

within the private area under proper safety measures" (I hope it's =

understandable).

Please note that the above is only for constructions done from 2003, not =

earlier (that is, no "retroffiting" is expected). I am attaching the =

original text in Spanish.

2- Decreto 036 de 2004 (specific decree for bike parking): it's very =

ambiguous and pretty useless, but it states, more or less, that =

constructions on surface which are built for parking should have one car =

space fitted for bicycle parking, for every 10 car park spaces. If there =

are less than 120 car park spaces, it should have 12 car spaces fitted =

for bicycle parking. I am attaching the original decree.

Finally, on the issue of bringing bicycles into buildings, that's =

entirely up to the building management... there's some colleagues in =

Bogot=E1 who have their office in a building where you have to carry your =

bike three floors up, because they won't let you use the car parking spaces!

If you ask me, the first regulation is the one to quote. Don't even =

mention the second one because it's too confusing.

All the best for TA on this.

Carlos.

Christof Hertel wrote:
> Hi Walter,
> ones again Berlin:
> http://www.stadtentwicklung.berlin.de/verkehr/radverkehr/fahrradparken/de=
/bln_bauordnung.shtml
> In new houses it is
> Parking facilities (locking possibility and safe to stand) for 2 bikes per
> flat, or 1 per 100squaremeter shopping-space.
>
> and see the box on page 21 in their guidebook, nearly any building has an
> specific number:
> http://www.stadtentwicklung.berlin.de/verkehr/radverkehr/fahrradparken/do=
wnload/leitfaden_fahrradparken.pdf
> greetings
> christof
>
> "As a partner in the EU funded project SpiCycles (Sustainable Planning and
> Innovation for Bicycles) Berlin takes part in a comprehensive programme
> focussed on the promotion of cycling, including the exchange of innovative
> ideas on the European level. The current handbook on the provision of
> bicycle parking facilities has been prepared within this overall
> framework.
> The handbook =84Bicycle Parking in Berlin addresses itself to public and
> private investors, architects and planners, real estate owners and housing
> administrators, shop keepers and employers, as well as to public bodies
> and institutions. In addition, to achieve good solutions for bicycle
> parking in collaboration with the owners of buildings and other
> responsible parties may also be of interest for the occupiers of rented
> housing, for shoppers, employees and users of public spaces and facilities
> generally."
>

>   =

>> Hi Walter,
>>
>> I believe San Francisco has a regulation which requires buildings with
>> freight elevators to allow bikes.... and I think a related one which
>> mandates showers in new buildings and renovations.
>>
>> Andy?
>>
>> Also, I would suggest that the TA people contact the Durst organisation
>> about One Bryant, their new big high-profile midtown Manhattan "green"
>> office building which will have bike parking and no car parking.
>>
>> - T
>>
>> Zvi Leve wrote:
>>     =

>>> Walter,
>>>
>>> The City of Montreal has recently updated their municipal
>>> by-laws<http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/page?_pageid=3D2762,3101322&=
_dad=3Dportal&_schema=3DPORTAL>to
>>> include "provisions regarding parking requirements for bicycles upon
>>> the
>>> construction, extension or change of use of a building." There are also
>>> new
>>> by-laws concerning the *maximum* number of on-site parking
>>> spaces<http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/page?_pageid=3D2762,3101308&_=
dad=3Dportal&_schema=3DPORTAL>which