[sustran] Re: CfM strategy discussion

Dr. Rainer Rothfuss rothfuss at cities-for-mobility.net
Wed Nov 26 03:06:40 JST 2008

   Dear Eric,

   I would suggest that in "Cities for Mobility" we follow BOTH
strategies at the SAME time:

   1.) "MASSIVE REDUCTION OF CAR TRAFFIC IN CITIES" as you called it

   AND

   2.) GREENING OF THE REMAINING MOTORISED INDIVIDUAL TRANSPORT.

   From the beginning of the existence of our network (established
with financial support from the EU in 1999 as URB-AL network with
roughly 250 members from 30 European and Latin American countries -
the past two years these two figures doubled) we have put much more
emphasis on "reduction of car traffic in cities" than on motorised
individual transport (no project at all in this field out of a total
of 10 until 2008!! --> see list of concluded projects:
http://www.cities-for-mobility.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=41&Itemid=185).

   Point 2.) is extremely important in my eyes! Because we won't
witness that industry gives up producing cars and earning big money
with mobility voluntarily. It's also unlikely that people worldwide
stop wishing to have a car  (we are talking about potentially 4
billion people in developing countries who never owned a car). THE
VEHICLES THAT ARE PRODUCED TODAY WILL REMAIN FOR THE NEXT 30 YEARS ON
THE ROADS OF THIS PLANET AND THE ONES PLANNED TODAY WILL REMAIN THERE
FOR ANOTHER 40 YEARS TO COME!! So how shouldn't we care about this
crucial fact?

   Regarding the settlement structure: 50% OF THE WORLD POPULATION
STILL LIVES IN RURAL AREAS THAT ARE HARD TO COVER WITH PUBLIC
TRANSPORT SERVICES (--> high CO2 emissions per passenger due to scarce
users in rich countries that can afford subsidies and bad service in
poor countries). For a disperse population light and energy efficient
vehicles for individual motorised transport may be the most rational
solution where the bicycle doesn't do the job due to distances or loads!

   What you call "strategic policy and management" is important. But
to be honest, it wasn't so much Mobility Management or awareness
raising that made people e.g. in Los Angeles starting to use public
transport rather than their private car in the past 2 years. It was
the rocketing gas prices!

   So I think that it's a whole bundle of measures that we need to
take into consideration when we want to achieve improvements in the
highly complex field of mobility.

   For Cities for Mobility I just see the PROBLEM THAT IN THE PAST 2
YEARS WE DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH PRO-ACTIVE REPRESENTATIVES OF THE
NON-MOTORISED MOBILITY SECTION!

   Please use the open discussion forum "Cities for Mobility" and give
us useful inputs on applicable strategies how to reduce car traffic in
cities on a regular basis! We all would appreciate that a lot!
Everyone should contribute with his/her strengths in a decentralised
network in order to keep all represented perspectives in a balance!

   Best regards,

   Rainer Rothfuss

Dr. Rainer Rothfuss
Coordinator of International Relations