[sustran] BBC: 2010 World Cup's transport legacy

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.eu
Mon Nov 24 22:50:34 JST 2008

  2010 World Cup's transport legacy

*South Africa will invest US$15.96 billion in transport for an estimated
450,000 visitors during the 2010 World Cup, Transport Minister Jeff
Radebe said on Sunday. *

Radebe told a news conference the amount included funds for airport and
roads upgrades and the creation of new rail and bus systems.
He also said the money would ensure a major overhaul of the country's
transport system, leaving a legacy after the tournament.

"We are driven by a desire to make sure that South Africa becomes a
destination of choice for tourists and business.

The World Cup in 2010 is a catalyst for the development of our system
because we need to meet FIFA requirements," Radebe said.

"But the huge sum of money we are investigating will also ensure a
lasting legacy for our people."

Radebe said US$1.3 billion from the overall budget had been allocated to
cities hosting World Cup matches.

South Africa has 10 venues for the 2010 finals in nine cities.

An integrated ticketing system for visitors is to be introduced for the
World Cup in several types of transport, including rail, buses and
mini-bus taxi services.

Radebe said the number of railway police would increase from 1,400 to
5,000 by 2010 and other security measure introduced for the safety of
visitors.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/f

Todd Edelman
Green Idea Factory

Urbanstr. 45
D-10967 Berlin
Germany

Skype: toddedelman
Mobile: ++49 0162 814 4081
Home/Office: ++49 030 7554 0001

edelman at greenidea.eu
www.greenidea.eu
www.flickr.com/photos/edelman

Green Idea Factory is a member of World Carfree Network
www.worldcarfree.net

CAR is over. If you want it.

"Fort mit der Autostadt und was Neues hingebaut!"
- B. Brecht (with slight modification)