[sustran] Re: [NewMobilityCafe] CDM Projects (Clean Development Mechanism) - public transport

Cornie Huizenga cornie.huizenga at cai-asia.org
Mon Nov 24 12:10:52 JST 2008

Dear All,

To advance the discussion on transport and climate two approaches are
required:

1)  *Try to get transport into the climate agenda.*

Obviously this is much wider than the question on CDM.  The upcoming COP 14
in Poland will be an important step on the road to a follow-up agreement to
the Kyoto Protocol. Based on the 4 th. Assessment Report of the IPCC it is
clear that the overall ambition level of the new agreement which will be
signed in Copenhagen needs to be a radically different one than in the case
of the Kyoto Protocol.  Many of the Annex 1 countries are now talking about
reductions of 20-30% by 2020 and 50-80% by 2050.  If such more ambitious
targets are adopted for Annex 1 countries this will need to have radical
consquences for transport in the Annex 1 countries. It is logical that these
radical changes in the Annex 1 countries will spill over to non-Annex
countries at some point in time.

In Poland there will be lots of dicussions on the new Agreement, especially
in the ad-hoc Working Group on Long Term Cooperative Action, which was set
up in Bali last year to "translate" the Bali Action Plan into a new
agreement. These discussions will also focus on mesurable mitigation
activities that developing countries/ non-Annex 1 countries will start to
undertake to reduce GHG emissions (outside the scope of any CDM
activities).  This clearly opens the possibility to talk transport as well.

In the ad-how working group on Future Commitments of Annex 1 countries under
the Kyoto Protocol there will be comprehensive discussions on how to move
forward with CDM.  The suggestions made in previous meetings of this working
group indicate that there is a strong awareness of the limitations of the
current CDM instrument.  While the transport community has been lamenting
that transport was not integrated in CDM, a large part of the wider climate
community has already come to the conclusion that CDM was flawed by itself
and not suitable to contribute to the relatively modest reduction goals
under the commitment period 2008-2012.

 Looking at the discussions and suggestions on the future of CDM as well as
the broader agenda for COP 14 in Poland the important thing for the
transport community is to look forward and focus on:

   - The current importance of the transport sector as a contributor to GHG
   emissions in Annex 1 and non- Annex 1 countries and the BAU scenario's w=
hich
   will explain how the various reduction scenario's require reductions wit=
hin
   the transport sector for them to become reality;
   - Options to reduce transport emissions to a level required under
   different GHG reduction scenarios through technological and
   non-technological measures in both Annex 1 and non-Annex1 countries;
   - Mix of command and control and market based instruments to implement
   the technological and non-technological measures, in both Annex 1 and
   non-Annex 1 countries;
   - Transfer payments between Annex 1 and non-Annex 1 countries which cover
   a substantial part of transport emissions AND which at the same time
   encourage/reward non Annex 1 countries to take policy measures to reduce
   transpot emissions further;
   - Capacity building measures to support non-Annex 1 countries to
   formulate and implement broad based measures to reduce GHG emissions from
   the transport sector through command and control as well as market based
   approaches, both those which are implemented with and those which are
   implemented without some form of transfer payment.

To promote such a more broad based approach to the integration of transport
in climate change a number of organizations have decided to coordinate in
the organization of transport related side events at COP 14.  They will also
seek to find some form of consensus on steps to be taken to arrive at a
common Action Plan of steps to be taken in 2009 leading up to COP 15 in
Copenhagen to promote a better integration of transport in the climate
agenda. We will be able to send out a brochure soon of the transport side
events at COP 15.

*2. Get climate into the transport agenda.*

Equally important is to ensure that transport planners take note of the
climate implications of the decisions made. While the number of CDM projects
is and will be limited in the time to come we should be aware that every day
investment decisions are being made in non-Annex 1 countries which will lock
in  GHG emissions for the next 20-30 years. Until and unless climate becomes
an integral component in transport policy and urban planning non Annex 1
countries will be unable to decouple economic growth and development of the
transport sector from the growth in GHG emissions.

A better integration of transport in the climate agenda can help both Annex
1 and non-Annex 1 countries on the necessity to mainstream climate in
transport policy making. This because of the higher political priority
attached to climate if a successful new agreement is reached in Copenhagen
which incudes mitigation activities for non-Annex 1 countries and which
makes specific reference to the transport sector.

To stimulate this discussion a double session on Transport and Climate in
TRB in January. In a side event on 16 th. January the preliminary results of
a number of think pieces on transport and climate commissioned by the Asian
Development bank will be presented. This will include:

   - measurement of CO2 in the transport sector
   - co-benefits of climate oriented measures and e.g. air quality oriented
   measures
   - policies for a low carbon sustainable transport future
   - financing of low carbon transport
   - institutional arrangements in support of low carbin transport

*Informal survey on Climate and Transport activities in 2009*
**
It will be helpful for the transport community to have an idea of what the
different organizations are doing/planning to do with respect to transport
and climate in 2009. To get such a overview we are implementing a small
informal survey - which is attached. If you are subscribed to a news group
which does not allow attachments please send me an email and I will be happy
to send the survey form to you.

best regards,

Cornie

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 10:17 AM, <akopp at worldbank.org> wrote:

> Lee
>
> I agree to what you write. I think, however, that the 'co-benefits' don't
> materialize either if the urban transport discussion is boiled down to a =
bus
> system discussion or on capacity expansion of public transport. Other
> mechanisms are needed supporting sustainable urban transport more broadly.
>
> Cap and trade and CDM like mechanisms will not lead to action in the
> transport sector, because it is too expensive relative to other sectors to
> cut CO2 emissions there.
>
> Best
>
> Andreas
>

> Dr. Andreas Kopp
> Lead Economist
> World Bank Group
> Department for Energy, Transport and Water
> 1818 H Street NW
> Washington, D.C. 20433
> USA
> ph. +1 202 473 6031

EE
> conference on measuring CO2 emissions CHANGES from transport projects).
>

> I'm VERY worried about CO2 in transport, but I'm convinced CDM and like
> process that link to "carbon finance" either slow the process down (see G=
EF
> grant progress), put too much focus on reducing CO2 rather than improving
> transport (they are not the same), filter our vision to projects whose
> carbon savings are relatively to measure (hybrid buses, proven but
> expensive) or ones with tiny and often questionable savings (like small
> additions of biodiesel to bus fuel).
>
> I'm not against rewarding carbon saving or efforts at mass transit, but t=
he
> proportions of $ for carbon are tiny compared to the overall pot of time,
> transport, urban development.  Can Mexico City honestly say that their
> Metrobus was "additional", ie., would not have been undertaken to save $$
> millions in saved time, accidents, local air pollution, reduced numbers of
> cars on the road (according to a nice report by the Instituto Nacional de
> Ecologia published in 2006) for a few hundred thousand $ of carbon finance
> funds arranged after the fact?
>

> Juerg Gruetter has made a good case for CDM and carbon financing of BRT
> projects, but in the end these only affect a small amount of CO2 (in buse=
s)
> and, while they draw a modest number of riders from cars, still leave the
> rest of cars untouched. My fear is that CDM draws interest to those easily
> bankable projects and away from the much greater challenge, use of cars a=
nd
> other light duty vehicles.
>

> In four Latin American cities (Mexico City region, Bogota, S Paulo, and
> Santiago) cars and taxis appear to account for 65-70% of all direct GHG
> emissions from road traffic (including trucks).  Without policies and
> projects that reduce that traffic (and its growth) SIGNIFICANTLY, the
> savings from 'urban transport projects" in general will be small.  Since
> most fo the carbon is in cars, most of the change has to come from cars. =
How
> [...]
>
> Investments in transport infrastructure (road, rail, port, air, facilities
> like transfer stations) =96 my guess $1-2 TN
>
> World purchase of private household transport equipment $1TN (40 mn cars
> $25 000/car)
>
> World purchase of road fuels (roughly 2 TN)
>

> Are we really talking about  putting hundreds of billions YEARLY into doi=
ng
> what is the right thing even if CO2 was not a problem. Conversely, if we =
had
> a CO2 free fuel tomorrow, we'd still have a traffic mess worldwide. So ma=
ybe
> focusing on transport and Co2, rather than more broadly clean development=
 =96
> and understanding why developing cities' traffic is such a mess even befo=
re
> CO2 is considered =96 is higher on the agenda. If there are going to be N=
-S
> transfers, aka Overseas Development Assistance, is CO2 "abatement" the mo=
st
> cost effective way of using money for development?
>

> Realistically, how can CDM have more than a demonstration effect? If so,
> then let's forget CDM as such and move to  a wider effort to
>
> Demonstrate various regional policy and technical solutions, investing (f=
or
> once) in enough competence building and data gathering so localities can
> monitor traffic, emissions, fuel, safety etc better. Our EMBARQ project in
> se Asia (PSUTA) discovered that authorities' ability to monitor even the
> most elementary problems of transport was pretty meager --
> http://embarq.wri.org/en/ProjectCitiesDetail.aspx?id=3D9
>

> Some of these issues will be discussed at the upcoming COP (Dec 5). Maybe
> Climate negotiations are not the right place to decide how to use the
> streets? There will also be a spirited discussion during Transportation
> Research Board Annual Meeting in Washington DC, both during the meeting
> itself and at a special side event Friday 16 January.  This note is copied
> to several of those involved in these discussions. Watch this space!
>

> *  *
>
> *  *
>
> *  *
>
> *  *
>
> *  *
>
> *Lee Schipper, Ph.D *
>
> *Project Scientist ***
>
> Global Metropolitan Studies
>

> 2614 Dwight Way 2 nd floor
> *University of California Berkeley *
>
> CA 94720-1782 USA
>

> TEL +1 510 642 6889
>
> FAX +1 510 642 6061
> CELL +1 202 262 7476
>
> skype : mrmeter
>
> http://metrostudies.berkeley.edu/
>

> *Senior Research Engineer ***
>
> Precourt Institute for Energy Efficiency
>
> *Stanford University ***
>

> *Senior Analyst Emeritus ***
>
> *EMBARQ, the WRI Center for Sustainable Transport ***

M0NWJjZ3M5BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEwODg3ODkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MjA1OTU0BG1zZ=
0lkAzMxNzIEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMjI3NDU3NTA2BHRwY0lkAzMxNzI->(
> 1 ) Reply (via web post)
JkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEwODg3ODkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MjA1OTU0BG1zZ0lkAzMxN=
zIEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMjI3NDU3NTA2?act=3Dreply&messageNum=3D31=
72>|
> Start a new topic
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewMobilityCafe/post;_ylc=3DX3oDMTJlN2JuYz=
c2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEwODg3ODkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MjA1OTU0BHNlYwNmdHIEc=
2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTIyNzQ1NzUwNg-->

> Messages
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewMobilityCafe/messages;_ylc=3DX3oDMTJlbm=
k4b2hnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEwODg3ODkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MjA1OTU0BHNlYwNmd=
HIEc2xrA21zZ3MEc3RpbWUDMTIyNzQ1NzUwNg-->|
> Links
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewMobilityCafe/links;_ylc=3DX3oDMTJmcDI4Z=
mVhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEwODg3ODkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MjA1OTU0BHNlYwNmdHIE=
c2xrA2xpbmtzBHN0aW1lAzEyMjc0NTc1MDY->|
> Database
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewMobilityCafe/database;_ylc=3DX3oDMTJjZm=
ZmcXA5BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEwODg3ODkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MjA1OTU0BHNlYwNmd=
HIEc2xrA2RiBHN0aW1lAzEyMjc0NTc1MDY->|
> Polls
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewMobilityCafe/polls;_ylc=3DX3oDMTJmdDVqc=
jQ2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEwODg3ODkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MjA1OTU0BHNlYwNmdHIE=
c2xrA3BvbGxzBHN0aW1lAzEyMjc0NTc1MDY->|
> Calendar
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewMobilityCafe/calendar;_ylc=3DX3oDMTJkNT=
VwcDM2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEwODg3ODkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MjA1OTU0BHNlYwNmd=
HIEc2xrA2NhbARzdGltZQMxMjI3NDU3NTA2>

> Check in here via the homepage at http://www.newmobility.org
> To post message to group: NewMobilityCafe at yahoogroups.com
> Please think twice before posting to the group as a whole
> (It might be that your note is best sent to one person?)
>

>  MARKETPLACE
9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzEwODg3ODkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MjA1OTU0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA=
2dmcARzdGltZQMxMjI3NDU3NTA3>
> Change settings via the Web
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewMobilityCafe/join;_ylc=3DX3oDMTJmNzJibm=
s0BF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzEwODg3ODkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MjA1OTU0BHNlYwNmdHIEc=
2xrA3N0bmdzBHN0aW1lAzEyMjc0NTc1MDc->(Yahoo!
> ID required)
> Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest
> <NewMobilityCafe-digest at yahoogroups.com?subject=3DEmail%20Delivery:%20Dig=
est>|
> Switch format to Traditional
> <NewMobilityCafe-traditional at yahoogroups.com?subject=3DChange%20Delivery%=
20Format:%20Traditional>
> Visit Your Group
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewMobilityCafe;_ylc=3DX3oDMTJkb2tibjhtBF9=
TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzEwODg3ODkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MjA1OTU0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2=
hwZgRzdGltZQMxMjI3NDU3NTA3>|
> Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>| Unsubscri=
be
> <NewMobilityCafe-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com?subject=3D>
>
> Recent Activity
>
> Visit Your Group
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewMobilityCafe;_ylc=3DX3oDMTJlZmdobjZlBF9=
TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEwODg3ODkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MjA1OTU0BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3=
ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTIyNzQ1NzUwNg-->

> Yahoo! Finance
>
> It's Now Personal
> <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=3D13ohpgsqn/M=3D493064.12016257.12445664.867=
4578/D=3Dgroups/S=3D1707205954:NC/Y=3DYAHOO/EXP=3D1227464707/L=3D/B=3D_ODsB=
0LaX9A-/J=3D1227457507144966/A=3D4507179/R=3D0/SIG=3D12de4rskk/*http:/us.rd=
.yahoo.com/evt=3D50284/*http:/finance.yahoo.com/personal-finance>

> Guides, news,
>
> advice & more.
>
> Find helpful tips
>
> for Moderators
> <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=3D13o79b53e/M=3D493064.12016258.12582637.867=
4578/D=3Dgroups/S=3D1707205954:NC/Y=3DYAHOO/EXP=3D1227464707/L=3D/B=3D_eDsB=
0LaX9A-/J=3D1227457507144966/A=3D5191954/R=3D0/SIG=3D112mhte3e/*http:/www.y=
groupsblog.com/blog/>

> on the Yahoo!
>
> Groups team blog.
>
> Dog Fanatics
>
> on Yahoo! Groups
> <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=3D13oibmem4/M=3D493064.12016263.12445670.867=
4578/D=3Dgroups/S=3D1707205954:NC/Y=3DYAHOO/EXP=3D1227464707/L=3D/B=3D_uDsB=
0LaX9A-/J=3D1227457507144966/A=3D4836045/R=3D0/SIG=3D11o19ppl5/*http:/advis=
ion.webevents.yahoo.com/dogzone/index.html>

> Find people who are
>
> crazy about dogs.
>
> .

-- =