[sustran] Re: Latest News on Road Crashes is Depressing

Morten Lange morten7an at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 21 22:08:22 JST 2008

Hi

I want to point to a fallacy or oversimplification, ( on my mind) in the text, that needs to be countered, at least in part :

"the measures and policies to reduce crashes and fatalities are well known. If all countries had fatality rates like Japan, Norway, UK or the Netherlands more than 80 000 lives would be saved".

The South should rather leapfrog past the concrete-, fences and highway-, super expensive and resource-wasting "solutions" of those rich nations.

The realisations that Todd Litman pointed to recently need much more traction than they have gotten so far :

Rethinking transportation safety
http://www.planetizen.com/node/36138

The opening sentences :
A paradigm shift is changing the way we think about transportation safety. In the past, traffic safety experts evaluated risk using distance-based units (traffic crashes and casualties per 100 million vehicle-miles or billion vehicle-kilometers), which ignores increases in vehicle traffic as a risk factor, and mobility management as a safety strategy. Yet, we now have overwhelming evidence that the amount people drive has a major impact on their chance of being injured or killed in a traffic accident.

Also check out this article on the car-centric raod safety lobby:
http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2007/05/15/car-nage/

Best Regards,
Moten