[sustran] Re: 'Get Visible' video - response to Todd

Morten Lange morten7an at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 21 07:07:19 JST 2008

Hi Ron,

I was thinking of replying to the video post and the "get visible / luminous crusade" with a bit of praise for an ambitious and fun video, but also with arguments very roughly in the direction that Todd went.

I think you both have soma valid points. But if we could get a bit more solid basis for the arguments of the two "sides", that could be interesting. Hand-waving has its place, but solid arguments are better.  ( Correct me if I'm wrong - I am beeing sincere here )

Ron, you wrote :
"...the odd approach that British cycling groups took in opposing daytime running lights for cars."

Do you think throwing emotional distance between yourself and "them" improves your argument ?

Incidentally the European Cyclists' Federation took a very similar stance, in opposing such requirements ath the EU-level (European Union).  Perhaps the major argument was that the potential detrimental effects on cyclist and pedestrians safety had not been duly considered in the process within the EU.

(By the way The ECF represents the major utility cycling organisations in about 80% ( my guestimate) of the European countries( EU nations and other countries as well)

What put me most off was the scaremongering opening sentence in your post where you advertised the video ( Get Visible or get hurt ), and now you repeat the same stuff again.

Issuing statements like
  "But as a practical matter I would rather be  bright and
  alive than minimally legal and dead.",
does more to arouse negative feelings than to further the debate.

I hope I am not further stirring up feelings of animosity here.  Perhaps to provide some balance, I will mention that I feel Todd could have been a bit more friendly / less provocative in his post as well.

But let me pit forward something on the constructive side, regarding where you, Ron, and I, and perhaps Todd, might agree :

I think shops should be mandated to always sell adequate lights and reflectors with every bike, and include it in the price.  Exemptions  should be made only when customers can provide a really good reason, like show the light they are going to use, or a testimony that the bike is for he exclusive use far from any traffic, and in broad daylight. ( Some people will always cheat, but they will know they have cheated )

Another thing is that the industry need to so better on quality and durability.  Perhaps the lights could be more integrated and /or more hardy (shock-resistant etc). And put dynamos in with the bearings of the front wheel on many more models than today.

The Danish authorities have promoted a model that uses magnets fastened to the spokes, and lights that produce electricity and hence lights directly where the magnets pass, without any cabling.  They produce flashing lights aft and fore, and store up energy to provide lights some minutes while stationary.

Best Regards,
Morten

P.S:

Being very visible is OK for those who would otherwise not dear to bike at night. And I guess when training groups of cyclists on-street.

But we cycling advocates should be very careful in joining in with the fearmongering choirs. There are way too many of them already. The scaremongering choirs both scare people away from cycling and give  car-centric and bike sceptic people a push they don´t need.  Reducing cycling is in itself very likely to reduce overall traffic safety.  Todd Litman recently sent material to the WorldTransport Forum list about the new paradigm in traffic safety which says just that, and that reducing driven kilometres by cars is one of the best measures for traffic safety.

See e.g.  : http://www.planetizen.com/node/36138

P.S2
To repeat :
The video we debate here is this one :
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJenAE4e6EE
( Better quality higher bandwidth version available elsewhere)