[sustran] Re: Jakarta air getting healthier thanks to carfree days

Morten Lange morten7an at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 17 03:14:55 JST 2008

Nice news, Todd

But I found it a bit too sketchy on the details to have a good stomach feeling about forwarding the story.

What do the car-free days entail ? How large areas were closed off ?

Another strand in the story is the one on car - emission controls and steep (?) fines.

The particulate pollution there must be very bad, by the way : 10 mm  particles ?  Oh they mean micrometers  :-)

The 10 micron measurements do not work very well here in Iceland, as the dust from the roads related to studded tyres, and from the Icelandic deserts plus particles of sea salt, weighs in very heavily (literally) at that size.

It is the smaller ( below 2.5 micron or even below 1 micron soot particles, mixed with VOC, NOx and SOx etc ) that are really bad though. The small particles penetrate further into the lungs and the alveoli, which render them more dangerous.  Chemically active particles, and particles with a larger surface area add to the health threat.  Some experts hae suggested counting the number of small particles rather than weighing.

Best Regards,
Morten Lange