[sustran] Jakarta air getting healthier thanks to carfree days

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.eu
Sun Nov 16 23:23:35 JST 2008

  *Jakarta air getting healthier: Official

http://old.thejakartapost.com/detailcity.asp?fileid=20081115.C02&irec=1 *

City News - Saturday, November 15, 2008

*Adianto P. Simamora*, The Jakarta Post, Bangkok

While compulsory emissions testing for private cars continues to be
delayed, the Jakarta administration claims air quality is getting better
across the city thanks to regular car-free days.

Data from the Jakarta Environment Management Board (BPLHD) shows
Jakartans breathed healthy air on 104 days up to October this year,
compared to only 73 days last year and 45 days in 2006.

The city launched "voluntary" emission checks for private cars in 2006.

BPLHD chairman Budirama Natakusumah said Car-Free Day significantly
contributed to a reduction in air pollution in the city.

"Up until October we had carried out Car-Free Day 18 times this year,
including along the city's main street of Jl. Jend. Sudirman," he told
/The Jakarta Post/ on the sidelines of the Better Air Quality conference
in Bangkok on Thursday.

Budirama said concentration of particulate matter measuring 10 mm (PM10)
decreased by an average of 40 percent each Car-Free Day.

The amount of carbon monoxide (CO) and nitrogen oxide (NOx) declined an
average of 63 percent and 67 percent respectively.

The pollutants expelled by motor vehicles and industries cause various
diseases, particularly respiratory disease, hypertension, kidney
failure, coronary disease and cancer.

Budirama said the office used a mobile air monitoring unit to measure
air quality during Car-Free Day, which was mostly conducted on weekends
when many Jakartans stay at home.

Jakarta, which organized three car-free days last year, has five air
quality monitoring stations, but only three of them are in good condition.

"We plan on holding Car-Free Day 22 times next year. Hopefully, we can
also enforce the law on mandatory emissions tests for private cars and
motorcycles," Budirama said.

In 2005, the administration issued a bylaw requiring all private cars to
test their emissions, in an effort to clean the city's air.

Under the bylaw, vehicle owners are required to have their vehicles
tested twice a year. Owners of vehicles that pollute heavily are fined
Rp 2 million or face two months in prison.

Budirama said the delay in enforcing the law was due to technical
problems, holding back the supply of certificates and stickers for
emission tests.

Chairman of the Public Health School at the University of Indonesia,
Budi Haryanto, doubted the validity of the air quality figures, saying
data from Car-Free Day could not represent the real condition of the
whole city.

"We need to verify the data given the fact more and more people are
falling ill because of air pollution in Jakarta," he said.

Budi said results from measuring the air quality on the weekend would be
different to tests on working days, when millions of private cars and
motorcycles flocked to Jakarta.

Chairman of the Indonesian Lead Information Center (KPPB), Ahmad
Safruddin, who is also involved in the Car-Free Day campaign, said
hydrocarbon (HC) in Jakarta remained a big problem.

"We need to improve fuel quality in Jakarta and retrofit catalytic
converters in order to cut pollutants of HC, PM10 and CO," he said.

Todd Edelman
Green Idea Factory

Urbanstr. 45
D-10967 Berlin
Germany

Skype: toddedelman
Mobile: ++49 0162 814 4081
Home/Office: ++49 030 7554 0001

edelman at greenidea.eu
www.greenidea.eu
www.flickr.com/photos/edelman

Green Idea Factory is a member of World Carfree Network
www.worldcarfree.net

CAR is over. If you want it.

"Fort mit der Autostadt und was Neues hingebaut!"
- B. Brecht (with slight modification)