[sustran] Re: FW: [China Urban Travel Ranking System

Tim Frodsham sustainable_universal_mobility at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 11 19:43:32 JST 2008

please take me off the sustran mailing list for the time being. thanks,
timSustainable Universal Mobility International Transport Consultancy ABN 78965310898 tel: +61 8-9337 3898 fax: +61 (0)8 9335 7741 web: www.geocities.com/sustainable_universal_mobility/ email: sustainable_universal_mobility@ hotmail.com post: 4 Victor St, Hilton, WA, Australia 6163> From: eric.britton at ecoplan.org> To: sustran-discuss at list.jca.apc.org> Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 08:36:07 +0100> CC: jinhua at mit.edu> Subject: [sustran] FW: [China Urban Travel Ranking System> > CPN Urban Travel Ranking System > > CPN Whitepaper: State of Urban Transport in China> > > > After a year's preparation, China Planning Network is initiating the CPN> Urban Travel Ranking System: the largest-scale, independent,> public-participating social surveys on China's urban travel. > > In collaboration with China's media and internet communities, we collect> first hand data on China's urban travel directly from the public. And in> collaboration with top transport scholars and professionals in the world, we> develop a definitive evaluation framework and survey methodology. > > The survey methodology and data collected will be published at the CPN> website and freely available to the public and scholars interested in China'> urban transport. The surveys will be done on annual basis. We will publish> the CPN Whitepaper: State of Urban Transport in China based on the results> of the annual surveys and the researches based on these survey data. > > For scholars: provide food for research > > Scholars have been hunger for data on China' urban transport, particularly> data from the public's viewpoint. The CPN surveys provide food for research> on China's urban transport. In doing so, not only we intrigue scholars from> all over the world with the richness and complexity of China's urban> transport, but also we enable their studies with first-hand survey data.> This is the best way to attract world scholarship to study China. > > For the public: engage participation in a realistic way> > The CPN surveys play two roles for the public:> > First, this is not only an information collection exercise, but also an> educational one. By participating in the survey, the widest population can> learn, from the world scholarship, what the key aspects are when we evaluate> a city's transport; what the latest concerns are, such as CO2 footprint,> energy consumption, social equity, affordability; what the newest policies> innovations are; how we can get involved in this type of social surveys,> etc. > > Second and more importantly, the CPN survey is a realistic way of engaging> public participation in China. This helps the public express their views> about urban lives, in an acceptable, yet powerful way. > > For government: get on to the agenda> > For the government, given the fact that decision makers in the cities and> states pay high attention to these types of ranking results, concerns> expressed in CPN surveys can jump onto their agenda right away and can be> fed into the decision making process effectively. Because the methodology is> based on the best thinking the world transport scholarship has to offer and> the data are directly from their own fellow citizens, the survey results are> hard to ignore. > > > > Features of the CPN surveys include: > > 1. Three tiers of seriousness of participation> > We recognize the different levels of interest and knowledge of the public so> we design three tiers of participation. > > Tier I: "vote for fun", where 3~5 simple voting questions are asked to> obtain the instant impression from the participants> > Tier II: "a bit more serious", for those who go beyond the question of "I> like Qingdao's transport the best", and ask "why I think it is the best", a> one-page survey with questions on key aspects of urban transport is offered> so that people can give reasons to their statements> > Tier III: "a 20-page long questionnaire", for those who are really into> this, we provide an in-depth, 20-page questionnaire, covering the widest> aspects of urban travel, as well as a detailed travel diary, socio-economic> background and attitudinal and perceptional questions.> > Can entertainment and serious research coexist? Why not! In this way, we can> attract the widest participation while carefully distinguish the serious> ones from the others. > > 2. Expectation oriented > > In addition to questions on the current travel conditions, we ask people's> expectation of the future. "How do you think Shanghai's subway system will> look like in five years' time given your understanding of the public> transport plan?" "How would you envision the situation of congestion when> every family has a car in Beijing?"> > These questions offer a unique perspective on people's sense of change in> China, people's understanding of the planning and people's view of the ideal> life in the future. > > 3. Longitudinally consistent and internationally compatible> > The power of the surveys lies in the comparability. The CPN surveys will be> held on an annual basis and the ranking framework will be longitudinally> consistent to enable year on year comparison. In dynamic cities such as> those in China, changes are the norm and we want to trace them.> Internationally compatibility will be considered as much as possible even> though we will start from within China. We will be glad to see cities from> outside China to adopt our evaluation methods so that we can position> Chinese cities within the world city system and vice versa. > > 4. Leading to a vision> > As well as the classic transport questions, we are introducing topics such> as transport equity and affordability, green travel and energy efficiency,> transport and lifestyle, mobile media, social image concern and car> ownership, land use and transport accessibility$B!D(BNot only these> questions inquire on the various aspects of urban travel, but together they> add up to a vision of the future for China's urban transport to develop in.> > > > How to get involved> > If you and/or your organization are interested in the CPN initiative, please> contact me directly at jinhua at mit.edu. All levels or forms of involvement> are welcome: from minor method revision to full scale design of the> questionnaires; from participating in testing surveys to cleaning the data> and analyzing the results; from helping introduce the initiative to others> to sponsoring the CPN initiative.> > We have set up an Expert Advisory Committee consisting of 25 leading> transport scholars and professionals. If you are interested in joining the> Committee, please don't hesitate to contact me. > > We distinguish the responsibilities for method design, data collection and> result publication: the scholars and professionals from the West and China> are responsible for the methodology of the survey, the data are collected> from the public voting and surveys, and CPN is solely responsible for the> results. > > > > 2009 and beyond> > There will be in one session of the CPN Transport Congress 2009 to focus on> the discussion on this initiative. The CPN Urban Travel Ranking System is> the Part I of the CPN ranking series including urban housing, urban> environment, urban energy, urban risk reduction, etc. > > We envision that in five years the Urban Travel Ranking System and the CPN> Whitepaper will become one of the most important data sources for academic> research, a definitive evaluation framework for government policies, and the> most accessible topic for debates and dialogues of the public.> > > > Best,> > Ming, Zhan and Jinhua> > -- > ---------> Jinhua Zhao> Executive Commissioner, China Planning Network> Massachusetts Institute of Technology> http://www.ChinaUrbanTransport.com/> http://www.ChinaPlanningNetwork.org/> > -------------- next part --------------> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...> Name: CPN Urban Travel Ranking System.pdf> Type: application/pdf> Size: 66629 bytes> Desc: not available> Url : http://list.jca.apc.org/public/sustran-discuss/attachments/20081110/e178afbc/CPNUrbanTravelRankingSystem.pdf> -------------------------------------------------------- > IMPORTANT NOTE to everyone who gets sustran-discuss messages via YAHOOGROUPS. > > Please go to http://list.jca.apc.org/manage/listinfo/sustran-discuss to join the real sustran-discuss and get full membership rights. The yahoogroups version is only a mirror and 'members' there cannot post to the real sustran-discuss (even if the yahoogroups site makes it seem like you can). Apologies for the confusing arrangement.> > ================================================================> SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred, equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries (the 'Global South').