[sustran] Identifying and Ranking Sustainable Transport Practices - INVITATION TO CONTRIBUTE

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Tue Nov 11 17:02:28 JST 2008

Thought this might interest, eventually be of use to you. If you wish to
contribute, you will find all the necessary information below. Eric Britton

INVITATION TO CONTRIBUTE

Commentaries on Methods and Techniques that

 Could be Used in Making Decisions about

 Identifying, Adopting, or Implementing

Sustainable Transport Practices

Research Report 2

Transport Canada Project

Methodologies for Identifying and

Ranking Sustainable Transport Practices

In Urban Regions

Eric,

As can be seen by visiting http://www.wellarconsulting.com/, research on the
Transport Canada project, Methodologies for Identifying and Ranking
Sustainable Transport Practices in Urban Regions, is on schedule.

The purpose of this note is to invite you to contribute to Research Report
2, Commentaries on Methods and Techniques that Could be Used in Making
Decisions about Identifying, Adopting, or Implementing Sustainable Transport
Practices. The full cover page for the report follows on the next page.

The contribution -- a two-page commentary --, can be for a method or
technique in Research Report 1 which has not yet been assigned. Or, it could
be a discussion of a method or technique which was not identified in
Research Report 1, and which fits the decision environment of the Transport
Canada project.

For convenience the list of identified methods and techniques presented in
Research Report 1 follows the cover page. A model is provided by the
commentaries which I wrote for five methods or techniques in Research Report
1, and which can be viewed at http://www.wellarconsulting.com/

I look forward to receiving submissions which are consistent with those that
have already been done, so that there is no editing or re-writing at my end,
and all I need to do is paste the commentaries into the draft of Research
Report 2 which is ready to receive contributions.

The only formatting conditions of import are that the text of the
commentaries are in Arial, 12-point, and the length is not to exceed two
pages, including room for spacing as per the model commentaries Contributors
can use or not use sub-headings as they wish, since they best know how they
want to 'tell the story" about a method or technique which could be used in
making decisions about identifying, adopting, and/or implementing a
sustainable transport practice.

In terms of the due date for the commentaries, I would like to have this
report ready for posting on or about November 30, which means that the
sooner I confirm the commentators for the respective methods and techniques,
the better the chances of meeting the target date.

As for the assignment of methods and techniques, the driving research design
criterion to include as many perspectives as possible by distributing the
assignment of commentaries among experts from different disciplines,
agencies, institutions, locations, modal experiences, political experiences,
etc.

I am therefore inviting the individuals I am contacting to list the numbers
of the methods and techniques for which expertise is held, and to put the
numbers in order of preference. I will then do my best to best match your
preferences with my needs as outlined above.

Finally, the names of contributors along with their "co-ordinates" will be
included in Appendix A. I am optimistic that when Research Report 2 is
complete, the roster of names will be compelling.

I look forward to hearing from you in the next several days.

Best regards.

Barry Wellar, PhD, MCIP

Principal

Wellar Consulting Inc.

890 Ridley Blvd.

Ottawa, ON  K2A 3P5

wellarb at uottawa.ca

http://www.wellarconsulting.com/

Ottawa, ON

November 9, 2008

Commentaries on Methods and Techniques that

 Could be Used in Making Decisions about

 Identifying, Adopting, or Implementing

Sustainable Transport Practices

Research Report 2

Transport Canada Project

Methodologies for Identifying and

Ranking Sustainable Transport Practices

In Urban Regions (main project)

Principal Investigator:

Barry Wellar, PhD, MCIP

Professor Emeritus, University of Ottawa

Principal, Wellar Consulting Inc.

 <mailto:wellarb at uottawa.ca> wellarb at uottawa.ca

 <http://www.wellarconsulting.com/> http://www.wellarconsulting.com/

Ottawa, Ontario

November 30, 2008

Commentaries have already been prepared for numbers 1, 9, 21, 25, and 39,
and they may serve as models for commentaries on other methods and
techniques that have been identified, or are proposed.

1.  Anatomical Sourcing

1.	Attitudinal Surveys
2.	Authority
3.	Brainstorming