[sustran] Re: Noise barriers

Zvi Leve zvi.leve at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 00:15:25 JST 2008

An Urban "Boulevard <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boulevard>" may be a more
realistic compromise than trying to minimize the impact of a highway.
Boulevards typically include numerous interventions related to the
"aesthetic" qualities of the facility (I know, how can one talk about road
"aesthetics"?), and by definition boulevards are intended to accommodate
many different types of road-user. Plus boulevards can even accommodate a
measure of 'public space' which can even be dedicated to non-transportation
related activities, such as vendors.

We should all be wary of building more exclusively car-centric projects. It
is doubly damaging when such projects are dropped into an existing
multi-modal urban environment. Tearing places apart in order to more
"efficiently" accommodate motorized vehicles is a very short-sighted
development approach.

Anyway... Good luck!

Zvi