[sustran] Re: Noise barriers

Morten Lange morten7an at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 4 21:03:43 JST 2008

Hi,

I agree with Sujit here, but other possible measures to reduce noise pollution from traffic include reducing car speeds, and planting bushes or trees along roads.

Reducing car-speeds ( traffic calming + speed limits and possibly increased enforcement) has the following advantages :
* improves accessibility for more sustainable modes/healthy transport ( Cycling, walking, passenging/public transport)
* renders other modes more competitive with the private car
* reduces air pollution
* reduces petrol consumption
* improves traffic safety
* reinforces the notion that there are limits to what car drivers can be allowed to do
* more "realistic" in the short run than banning cars  :-)

I recall having heard that actually reducing speeds can increase traffic flow. ( Building on the assumption that drivers adjust the distance to the car in front, because braking distances increase greatly with speed  - varies as speed squared, I seem to recall)

Best Regards,
Morten Lange