[sustran] Think Out of the Box

Tom Farr tpfarr1 at verizon.net
Sat May 17 02:48:29 JST 2008

Philadelphia, PA
May 16, 2008
Tom Farr, director, Better Times, inc. <http://bettertimes.cc/> a
nonprofit association.

We all know cycling is great -- and, bicycles save gas, reduce traffic
congestion, fight global warming and make us fit and trim instead of
fat. Clearly, the world would be much better off if millions more rode
bikes.

And, we all know that the 700 million cars will soon be over a billion
as China and India continue their economic progress; everyone loves
their cars -- the power, the freedom and the sexy designs. But, the
economic resources expended on cars, their roads and their fuel has
grown beyond the point of rational justification.  Societies around the
globe want more cars, more fuel and more roads as desperately as the
addict wants his fix.

So, what's going to happen as gas prices continue to rise?

This morning, I heard on CNN that Christiane Amanpour, their renowned*
*Chief International Correspondent, rides a bike to work -- but, not
today, it is raining.  Let me tell you about a concept we are promoting
at Better Times.

"Roadways for People" are enclosed and elevated roadways for bicycles,
pedestrians and small electric scooters. The reason we are so excited
about them is that they are pre-designed modular components; they are
simply 'assembled' to form a roadway that can run over existing streets,
rivers, train tracks and parks.  This means: THEY ARE VERY INEXPENSIVE.
THEY DO NOT DISRUPT THE COMMUNITY DURING CONSTRUCTION. Because they are
elevated, they don't compete with the cars or trucks or buses.  WE WANT
PEOPLE RIDING BIKES -- WE DON'T NEED TO START A WAR with car drivers
fighting over limited resources (space on the asphalt).

If a Roadway for People network existed in New York City, Christiane
Amanpour could have ridden her bike to work because the rain wouldn't
have affected her (since the roadway is enclosed); she could also ride
this winter in a snowstorm (and laugh at the cars stuck on the streets
below); and, she would not become one of the 15,000 struck by cars each
year in New York.

Here's the problem: people think in a box.  A different concept = A nut
talking about a stupid idea. Scientists have found only 2% of people
will give serious consideration to a new concept; 97% will run away.  If
you happen to be one of those 2%, check out our website where this
concept is discussed in great detail; you will see pictures, designs, an
economic analysis and much more!  Can you imagine, within 10 years 850
million people will be riding 2.6 trillion miles each year on 3,300
Roadway for People networks in urban areas around the world.  This will
prevent 85 billion gallons of gasoline from being burned.

Give it a try -- think out of the box.

Warmest regards and may you have good weather and find a safe road for
biking,

Tom Farr
Better Times <http://bettertimes.cc/>