[sustran] Mass transit modes "competition"

Carlosfelipe Pardo carlosfpardo at gmail.com
Thu May 8 08:23:56 JST 2008

Hi,

I think the whole topic of mass transit modes (bus-based, rail-based,
and its divisions) cries for a real and objective comparison in terms of
characteristics, real (not theoretical) capacities, costs, impacts and
long term benefits, plus other stuff like social impact of the city
where a system is implemented (employment, local operator involvement,
etc). The issue of projected - real costs has been reviewed and has
given some impressive results (in the negative sense). The recent BRT
Planning Guide from ITDP, GTZ, UNEP, GEF, Hewlett, Viva has a nice
chapter on this issue, which I invite everyone to check out (and the
whole guide, for that matter).

The real problem with fighting between rail and bus-based options is
that, in the meantime, people are getting off public transport and into
cars...

Best regards,

Carlos.