[sustran] Fw: Re: Traffic Congestion in Bangalore

Sudhir sudhir at secon.in
Fri Mar 21 12:49:30 JST 2008

Dear All,

For a Big city as Bangalore having 39-40% households without any private
vehicles (more Captive People), the mode share of pedestrians is virtually
understated.

Please find the excerpt from Comprehensive Traffic and Transportation Study
from Bangalore - October - 2007 which is the blue print for future
infrastructure management and development.

The mode share provided to walk is highly specious as

·        41.91 % of Trips have ingress and egress of maximum of 22%
considering all walk, cycling and IPT trips act as feeder to Public
Transport (which is again not possible). It is to be added here that
Bangalore has very few Park and Ride Facilities. Thus as Mr. Litman has
pointed out "walk-bus-walk trip is usually coded simply as a "bus" trip". Or
probably a layman may not make out exactly what is a "Trip" or due to
general prevailing perception of Trip as automobile Trip.

·        Nearly 2% of Households have been captured during CTTS-Household
Survey.  Bangalore has very high economic & social disparity. In such a
sceanrio is 2% good enough sample size?

Regards
Sudhir
Project Engineer,