[sustran] Re: Traffic Congestion in Bangalore

Puchalsky, Chris cpuchalsky at dvrpc.org
Thu Mar 20 22:37:25 JST 2008

I would like to echo some of the comments about the undercounting of pedestrian trips.  I strenuously question the 0.07 pedestrian trip rate cited below. In the greater Philadelphia area, one both wealthier and more sprawling (~500/km2) than Bangalore, we have a pedestrian trip rate for the region nearly 10 times as large (~0.61).  The pedestrian trip rates for the urban area are even larger.  The survey that we used to estimate this trip rate was very deliberate on counting non-motorized travel.  Any such similar survey done in Bangalore will surely find rates of non-motorized travel much greater than those cited below.

Christopher M. Puchalsky, Ph.D.
Senior Transportation Engineer
Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission
190 N. Independence Mall West
Philadelphia, PA 19106-1520
P: 215.238.2949
F: 215.592.9125