[sustran] Legal redefinition of bicycles as public transport?

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Thu Jul 17 14:18:12 JST 2008

Sorry to overload you here, but here’s a thought that came out of a video
exchange that I had with Bina Balakrishnsan of the Mumbai Transformation
Project this morning, which I would like to see if we might usefully discuss
in the New Mobility Café (posting address: NewMobilityCafe at yahoogroups.com.

The idea is to propose in some place a legal definition of non-motorized
two/three wheelers as Public Transport. (This thought comes to mind in the
context of our public bike work where they are increasingly being referred
to as ‘private/public transportation’. And in some places as public
transportation without even that qualification. Can we move from words to
action on this in some useful way?

If we were to have this in hand, might it not start to make an enormous
difference, opening up our mental spaces as well as legal room for action.

That might be a first step to a real revolution – High quality, zero-carbon,
resource efficient, 21st century  mobility for our cities and for our lives.

It is so important to draw the right lines on the court before starting to
hit the ball. ;-)

How and where can we start to do this (if indeed it is a good idea in the
first place)?

What about batting this around a bit here?