[sustran] Re: [SUSTRAN] Re: Tata Nano: CriminalizingMobility orMobilizing Crime

Sarath Guttikunda sguttikunda at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 20:40:32 JST 2008

Dear Anumita,

Thanks for your elaborate email..

My 2 cents,

In an interview with Ratan Tata, he mentioned that goal behind making Nano
is family safety and he is inspired to making Nano after seeing a family on
a motorcycle. I have seen some arguments in papers and on net, that the
largest jump in buying a Nano will come from the MC group. This I doubt.

A simple math between MCs and Cars, assuming all gasoline (priced at
Rs.50per liter) and a family traveling 30 km per day. MCs give 60 km
per lit,
which translates to Rs.0.83 per km or Rs.7800 per year per family. If the
family jumps to a Nano, assuming a 20 km per lit, math translates to
Rs.2.50per km or
Rs.23,400 per year per family. One year = 6 working days per week and 52
weeks.

On an average, a middle class family with MC in India earns between 10K to
15K. Even if we take the higher end of 15K, this accounts to 4% for MCs and
13% for cars on fuel expenses per year. That is a big change.

This does not account for the price difference (~Rs.40K for MC and
Rs.125Kfor Nano) and interests they will incur for 5 or 10 years of
loans,
insurance, and maintenance. And lets not forget Parking - even if it is
cheap compared to the developed nations.

There is no doubt that with growing demand for cars, Nano will be a hit
(similar to Maruti 800 when it arrived in the 80's) - given the production
levels are as high as the current demand. What we saw on TV is a glimpse of
the car which is still a year away or less from hitting the roads. A good
public awareness campaign with numbers will do good - explaining what people
will end up spending - both in terms on money and time (leading to more
congestion).

MCs are by far the largest number in the country and will remain so for the
coming decades. On the other side, a good price differential and extra tax
for cars, Nano could shift some people away from buying SUVs, who knows :-)
Cars are not bad, but more cars on road make it worse.

Similarly, there are some discussions on how Nano will cut into the 3Ws and
Taxi market, which is also stretching the limits. In the cities like Delhi,
Mumbai, Hyderabad, or Bangalore, parking has already become a problem, and
more cars will not make it easy. Under a parking cap, 3Ws and Taxis still
rule the short trip version.

As we argue on cars and MCs, as Anumita pointed out, we have to also
understand the lack of "public transport" in place to take the current
travel loads. And also the share of diesel on road. We are basically stuck
at "Access to Mobility".

with regards,
Sarath

--