[sustran] Re: [SUSTRAN] Re: Tata Nano: CriminalizingMobility orMobilizing Crime

Anumita anumita at cseindia.org
Fri Jan 25 15:26:10 JST 2008

Lee,

I guess all of us are saying the same thing. Clearly, this fuss over Nano is just not
about Nano but about cars, all cars – big, small, cheap, expensive cars. Nano has
given us the chance to focus the public debate on congestion, oil guzzling and
emissions and make these concerns more visible. This debate is certainly very
nuanced.

-- Look at the Indian paradox today – super cheap cars like Nano will expand the
bottom of the market pyramid when rising incomes have already triggered a steady
drift to bigger cars and SUVs. So the ends are stretched both ways. Car companies
will continue to compete on costs in a price sensitive market. With frugal engineering,
weak regulations, fiscal largess to the car companies, even for their production
facilities, cars can come very cheap. Question is how do we deal with it?

-- Interestingly, in a car to car comparison nano or any small car can offer fuel
savings – certainly more sensible than the bigger, more powerful, high performance
cars that are about several hundreds per 1000 people in many industrialized cities.
But the new investments in the Indian auto sector will have to be linked with stringent
emissions regulations, in-use compliance requirements and efficiency standards.

– But the reason why we are debating Nano, and, are so concerned today, is
because we still have the time, the chance and the alternatives to plan mobility
systems differently in Indian cities. We already have a reasonable strength in the
usage of public transport at least in big cities, NMT and walking -- that if protected
and improved can help us to take an alternative route and avoid huge emissions and
oil guzzling in Indian cities. Building alternatives at this stage of motorisation is critical
-- cars may drive growth and aspirations, but they can never meet the commuting
needs of the urban majority.

-- But this is where we draw a blank. As in the rest of the world we have also realized
that to a very great extent mobility management hinges on fiscal measures (in
addition to providing good public transport).  But the wisdom of taxing a product for
the vice and not just for their values is still quite alien to the Indian and many other
Asian fiscal regimes. The governments are strongly entrenched in command and
control strategies. They are still not looking at fiscal measures that can change
consumer and commuter choices, push cities to make better choices on
transportation options, create alternative sources of revenue and broaden the
revenue base to fund mobility and technology transition. But this will require a
different kind of maturity and sophistication in our fiscal regimen.

-- Greening of taxes will be an even bigger battle in the present context of
governance and public awareness. Aspirational vote bank never says tax our cars
and the governance systems in cities are not strong enough to force it down.
Therefore, just the opposite is happening today. The city governments penalize buses
by taxing them higher per passenger they carry than cars that carry lot less and use
up more road space etc.

-- In Delhi, we are amidst discussions on fuel taxes, parking charges, road taxes etc.
But resistance is unbelievable. Even if matters move in Delhi it will still be a drop in
the ocean. The policy mandate on transportation and mobility matters is so
decentralized that it is the ability of all individual cities that will ultimately decide the
progress on this front. National policies like JNURM etc are still not strong enough
framework to create a template for the cities. Smaller cities are going to be even
more badly hit by small car explosion as public policies on public transport are
virtually non existent for these cities – just because these cities do not have high
density travel corridors to justify investment in ‘profitable’ public transport.  This
means millions are left to organise their own mobility and will happily graduate from
bicycles and cycle rickshaws to cheap cars.

-- We need to understand that when it comes to practical planning for mobility
management in our cities the basic policy tools, databases, policy indicators of
sustainability etc do not even exist to enable city level planning and action. Even
public voice remains dormant. This is where we need to move fast to see some real
action. Otherwise, good ideas will remain good ideas while cars take over.

Anumita

On 24 Jan 2008 at 10:40, Lee Schipper wrote:

> Anumita, what do you say? Sounds like we're between a piece of rubber
> and a spare tyre
>

> Lee Schipper
> EMBARQ Fellow
> EMBARQ, the WRI Center for Sustainable Transport
> www.embarq.wri.org
> and
> Visiting Scholar
> UC Transportation Center
> Berkeley CA USA www.uctc.net
> skype: mrmeter
> +1 510 642 6889
> Cell +1 202 262 7476

Anumita Roychowdhury
Associate Director,Research and Advocacy
Centre for Science and Environment
41, Tughlakabad Institutional Area
New Delhi 110062
Tel: 91-11-29955124, 29955125, 29956394