[sustran] Re: [SUSTRAN] Re: Tata Nano: Criminalizing Mobility orMobilizing Crime

Ranjit Gadgil ranjit.gadgil at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 19:19:29 JST 2008

au contraire, Professor Setty, we live and travel in Pune, so our eloquence
is actually from much closer than British Columbia!

I find your remarks in light of this paper of yours surprising.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/ev/designresearch/projects/2000/cuc/tp/outreach/setty(transportation).pdf

Of course what you probably failed to identify in the paper is that costs of
an MV itself might drop fast enough to allow more MV ownership, thus
negating this statement of yours

*Considering all these factors: increasing average household incomes,
inflation, cost of MVs and MCs, it appears that most of the households
in Asia will not have the economic capacity to own and operate
a MV, at least to the year 2010.*

Have you changed your position on sustainable transport due to this?

- Ranjit

On Jan 24, 2008 2:46 AM, Sujit Patwardhan <sujit at vsnl.com> wrote:

> If they are all going to different destinations I don't see how owning the
> Nano would help very much, unless they buy several Nanos per family. And
> wouldn't it be much cheaper to improve the public transport (presently
> getting slower each year mainly due to the increased number of personal auto
> vehicles coming on the roads) by introducing bus lanes, more buses etc than
> to get into the vicious circle of building more roads, flyovers, parking
> lots etc which will not solve congestion but make it worse? Fortunately the
> central government has recently stopped funds to Bangalore city under the
> Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban renewal Mission (JNNURM) for flyovers and
> roads without preparation of a comprehensive citywide mobility plan that
> favours "mobility of people rather than vehicles" as stressed by the
> National Urban Transport Policy. Many NGOs in India welcome this step as
> explosion of auto vehicle numbers (not just the Nano) will be disaster for
> the country.
> --
> Sujit
>

> On Jan 23, 2008 11:45 PM, Pendakur <pendakur at interchange.ubc.ca> wrote:
>
> > It would be good if all the people who have sent in discussions on the
> > "smart Tata car", to place themselves in the position of a person, say
> > in
> > Bangalore (india), who has two children and a spouse, all going to
> > different
> > destinations.  Even though the bus system is ok in Banaglore, compared
> > other cities in India, it would take this family a great deal of time
> > and
> > money to reach their destinations,.  In addition, all four destinations
> > (2
> > schools and 2 work places) are farther apart.  This smart car is a boon
> > this family.  It will cut their travel time in half and provide a safer
> > vehicle than the motor cycle they use now.
> >
> > Eloquence is good (criminalizing mobility) but empty eloquence from a
> > distance is rarely of any significance.
> >
> > Cheers.
> >
> > Setty
> > Dr. V. Setty Pendakur
> > Professor Emeritus, University of BC
> > Honorary Professor, China National Academy of Sciences;
> > Director, ITDP (NY) & Secretary, ABE90-TRB
> >
> > President, Pacific Policy and Planning Associates
> > 702- 1099 Marinaside Cresecent, Vancouver, BC
> > Canada V6Z 2Z3
> > 604-263-3576; Fax: 604-263-6493
> >

> --
> Sujit Patwardhan

> [...]