[sustran] Re: Hans Monderman messages

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.eu
Wed Jan 16 07:50:35 JST 2008

Hi,

"Shared Space" or shared space in cities and towns is a wonderful thing,
a piece of the most rich, moist and totally delicious cake - if you will
- but one which has a piece of glass inside of it. The glass is the
private car (for now, and, eventually - I hope - all cars). I especially
appreciate that Hans Monderman recognised that Shared Space was not a
panacea, and - to put my opinion in - it is not just not a cure-all for
road safety in cities, but for sustainability in general. We need to
remove the glass from the cake.... but, after doing so, we may find that
we don't need the cake, or the "Cake".

So I hope Shared Space will be used to help people find this glass, to
show - perhaps - that it is not the traffic rules and behaviour which
are the problem, but the automobile itself. I realise that this was/is
not the goal of Shared Space, but that is what makes it work for me (and
I think many others, who, for solid, rational and scientific reasons
object to cars no matter how much they... share.)

- T

.britton wrote:
> Dear Terence, Ben and others.
>
> In fact what we call shared space is probably the most common arrangement
> taking in the world as a whole. Highly regulated traffic systems with strong
> separation of modes and types of traffic is mostly found in developed
> western countries, and other countries where western consultants and
> engineers have left their mark.
>
> How well shared space works depends on many things, but one factor that
> strikes me as important is speed of vehicles, and the differences in speed
> of different vehicles. For example where there is a big mix of cyclists and
> slow-moving motor vehicles, it works well. Where motor vehicles predominate
> and there are few pedestrians it is more difficult to get drivers to go
> slowly, and then the system breaks down.
>
> Another aspect is attitudes and behaviour of the population concerned. Hans
> Monderman recognised the difference in behaviour of a local village resident
> in a vehicle, and a driver from elsewhere (perhaps even from another
> country) passing through and being unaware of local driving norms. In busy
> streets in China one can spot the western foreigners because they try to
> dodge the vehicles when crossing the road, whereas the norm is to walk
> slowly but deliberately across the road, and let the drivers dodge you.
>
> I have many other thoughts on this, but they will have to await my next book
> (well, article anyway).
>
> Terence, I would like to hear more about Vietnam when we next meet.
>
> Best regards to all
>
> Tim Pharoah
>

> On 14/1/08 09:44, "Terence Bendixson" <t.bendixson at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Ben
>
> Thanks for your report. I have been in Vietnam and had missed the news.
> Oddly enough I was thinking about Monderman and you when there. As I expect
> you know, traffic in places like Hanoi flows almost without benefit of
> traffic engineering and control - and  virtually never gets blocked. It is a
> tribute to human interaction, decentralisation and the smallness of most of
> the vehicles. It is not pretty but it works. Have you witnessed it?
>
> Regards
>
> Terence Bendixson
> Secretary
> ITC

> IMPORTANT NOTE to everyone who gets sustran-discuss messages via YAHOOGROUPS.
>
> Please go to http://list.jca.apc.org/manage/listinfo/sustran-discuss to join the real sustran-discuss and get full membership rights. The yahoogroups version is only a mirror and 'members' there cannot post to the real sustran-discuss (even if the yahoogroups site makes it seem like you can). Apologies for the confusing arrangement.

> SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred, equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries (the 'Global South').

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory

Korunni 72
CZ-10100 Praha 10
Czech Republic

Skype: toddedelman
++420 605 915 970
++420 222 517 832

edelman at greenidea.eu
http://greenideafactory.blogspot.com/
www.flickr.com/photos/edelman

Green Idea Factory is a member of World Carfree Network
www.worldcarfree.net