[sustran] Re: Tata Nano: Criminalizing Mobility or Mobilizing Crime (Hassaan Ghazali)

Anupam Gupta anupam9gupta at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 14:15:48 JST 2008

Dear Mr. Hassaan - Sir, I'm not sure that the choice is as binary as
shunning or taking up the Tata technology. There are many more issues
pertaining to mobility on a discussion pertaining to the Nano. While one can
praise what can, arguably, be termed as a technological achievement, one has
to also be aware of it's impact on mobility in a country that has all the
growth, but none of the development.

As Ms. Gina has pointed out, the US - the country where the Model T was
launched and celebrated - isn't exactly the epitome of responsibility on
mobility or environmental matters. The celebrations come first, the impact
comes years later. I thought we should learn from history. I fully agree
with Prof. Krishnayya's excellent riposte to Mr. Sharma's article.

Best regards
Anupam