[sustran] Re: Tata Car and getting our act together

Lee Schipper schipper at wri.org
Sat Jan 12 22:58:42 JST 2008

Let me propose a simple equation -- weight  the benefits of the "Nano" owners (whomever they may turn out to be) against the disbenefits of the large majority of Indians on foot (note I did not say "on the sidewalk"),on pedals, or on two wheelers. Seeing the current onslaught of two wheelers against "foot people" and against each other in India, I have a hard time believing that the benefits will outweight the  disbenefits.

If you want to argue that some day a huge percentage of Indians will be driving Nanos, which will somehow mean that foot people are no longer at risk then I would simply argue that Indian cities will have collapsed under the tires of cars....

Lee Schipper
EMBARQ, the WRI Center for Sustainable Transport
www.embarq.wri.org
>From Oct 1, Visiting Scholar,
UC Transportation Center
UC Berkeley, CA